Security+ Certified

osiszhosiszh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I recently passed the Security+ exam and would like to share my experience with you. I passed with an 832/900.

The materials that I used to study are as follows:
Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson
Sybex CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit
TechNotes here on TechExams.net
CBT Nugget video series with Michael Shannon

I started off by watching the CBT Nuggets to get a quick understanding of what all this information is about. I then read the Sybex books to understand the concepts better. I should have read Darril's book first, his book is spot on for passing this exam. I would read his book and use the Sybex book as a 2nd reference to read for anything you are unclear on. It also helps to search google for concepts you're unfamiliar with or have trouble understanding. I skimmed through the TechNotes, they were good but I found somethings to be irrelevant.

This was my first IT certification exam so I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect. I studied for about a month for this exam, cramming as much information into my head as possible. I can't stress enough that you need to get a good night's rest before the exam, don't stay up all night studying.

As far as the exam went, I found a lot of the questions to be bizarre. Don't let this scare you, as long as you understand the fundamental concepts layed out in the book you will pass with ease. I did not have any other certifications under my belt such as the A+ or Network+ they want you to have before taking this. I have a degree in Computer Engineering and have some knowledge of these subjects. I hope my experience can help you pass this exam, and please post replies if you have any other questions.

I am now onto studying for Linux+ and have recently posted a thread in that sub-forum. If anyone has that cert and could share some information please look there. Thanks!

Comments