How to look for NOC Jobs?

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
I've been interested in working in a NOC for some time now. I'm a relatively recent college graduate (May, 2009) with experience working at my college on both systems and networking.

My problem is how do I go about finding these types of positions. Typing "NOC" onto job boards was not as helpful as I thought it might be. What should I be searching for, and where?

My primary area of interest is Rochester, NY. Does anyone know how the market is up there?

I don't want to spam anything, but would someone be willing to take a look at my resume and let me know what they think? I think I'm more qualified than most new grads, but I might be basing that on the graduates from my particular school (not an overly technical place).

Anyway guys, I'd appreciate any information anyone might have.

Thanks,

Matt
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did you try typing "Network Operations" or "Network Operations Center" ? Indeed.com is very helpful in finding jobs. I found a few NOC jobs using indeed.com in my city over the length of three weeks. I'm sure someone on here would help you out on your resume.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One good thing to do is to post a generic version of your resume in the resume do's and don'ts thread.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude. Without experience a high end NOC doesn't want much if anything to do with you.

I would suggest you go ahead and finish your associate level training off CCNAV, CCNAS, CCNAW and CCDA. And toss in some client operating system skills. While working for a managed service provider. NY has one we team with sometimes called The Lloyd group, they seem to always need people.

Best of luck
    -Daniel
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    You can take out your private information from your resume and upload it here for us to look at it and we would be happy to comment on it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Be sure to post your resume up on Monster.com and CareerBuilder. The job I have right now found me instead of me finding them. It doesn't always happen that way, but it sure is nice when it does.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Rearden wrote: »
    How to look for NOC Jobs?

NOC on wood?

/groan
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    I've removed my personal info and uploaded my resume here: copy of Resume.pdf

Although, anyone could probably figure out who I am anyway, with a little digging.

It's kind of funny if you think about it. I'm editing out my personal info while posting to a forum, but on the job boards, linkedIn, etc. I want my resume with my contact information to be seen by as many people as possible.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. It's nice to have some people actually in IT to be able to give me some feedback, as opposed to the more general sort of feedback that comes from traditional resume reviews (school, library etc.)
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I roughly went through your cv, I think you need to change the resume template.
    I roughly went through your cv, I think you need to change the resume template.

Oh, that's not a good sign. I didn't even use a template.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    for NOC jobs you have to go where they are at, but at the same time they are all over the place. Some large service providers have NOC's. Some large Corps have there own NOC's.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    NOC on wood?

/groan

laff

icon_silent.gif
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Hey dude. Without experience a high end NOC doesn't want much if anything to do with you.

Ummm, on the contrary, NOC work is often times the starting point for many entering the networking industry. Half the job is troubleshooting with the other half being escalation.

To the original poster, you should be looking at service providers. Just be prepared to work ridiculous hours with minimal pay. I applaud your efforts, however, as it will no doubt yield great gains in understanding how a network actually functions.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually live in rochester NY and work for a company called PAETEC. I am in the NOC but have accepted another position from with the company. I know they hire NOC employees all the time. PM me I can give you some more info.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I know this topic is old. How did the job search go for NOC in Rochester? I worked for PAETEC NOC for a while.
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    there are def a lot less noc jobs than help desk jobs. I started off in help desk for 2 years before moving on to a NOC.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
    drkat wrote: »
    I know this topic is old. How did the job search go for NOC in Rochester? I worked for PAETEC NOC for a while.

I ended up working for an MSP, actually.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Which one lol? you guys hiring? I'm at a hosted voip company