Options

What Router to get?

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am thinking of getting a 851W for my home, but I can see there are a load of routers in the 800 range.

Any sugestions as to if there are any replacments to the 851? as I notice on the cisoc site it only runs the 12.4 software, while the 871W runs the new 15 (I sure theres very litle difference but that suggests they are still developing for the 871 and not the 851)

I jsut want ADSL, and mos importantly VPN function, can the 800 series do easy VPN setups?

Any one have experince with this range?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Yeah I use an 877W for my home ADSL2+ connection. If you have a standard ADSL the 850's will be fine but if you have or are looking to upgrade to ADSL2+ you'll need the 877. It's also handy to get the wireless versions for playing around on as well, it's helped me in learning more about the IOS, especially bridging interfaces with BVIs and stuff.

VPN's are fine with the 800 series, I've been using mine for ages with the cisco VPN client (or microsoft) so I can access my home remotely.

Honestly, I think buying and playing around with my 877W on my home connection has been just as beneficial as getting my CCNP... sure you won't learn complex route-redistribution using ipv6 on it - but I've never needed any of that stuff anyway icon_lol.gif

It's been especially useful for testing client configs before implementation - for example PPTP or IPSEC VPN's for client access, making sure there's no glaring typos or misconfigured IP addresses... setting up virtual Windows servers and testing radius authentication with it etc etc. Pure awesomeness
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I also run an 877w at home, and it was this piece of kit that got me on the road to getting into Cisco and doing my CCNA. I cannot get over how nice this router is, yeah it costs a lot more man but it just shames anything else you might buy in your local PC store.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, I got mine brand new of ebay for approx £170, not the £300+ most websites were quoting. ;)
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree the 877w are nice. I have one that I was using in the states. Now that I'm in japan,
    my ISP will not allow me to use it.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    YEp I was tempted by the 871w, first saw it in the CBT nuggets and it looked like a nice bit of kit. so the updated 877 I imagen will be just as sweet.

think its time to write a begging letter to the wife ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    YEp I was tempted by the 871w, first saw it in the CBT nuggets and it looked like a nice bit of kit. so the updated 877 I imagen will be just as sweet.

think its time to write a begging letter to the wife ;)

Yeah that Jeremy? chap was loving the router huh, made me feel so proud to own a 87x. ;)

Good Luck with the letter icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    For about the same price on ebay you can get an 881, which supports CBWFQ and LLQ.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    For about the same price on ebay you can get an 881, which supports CBWFQ and LLQ.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good and I must have it. 881 it is. icon_lol.gif