My brawl with 'The Beast'

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
This morning, I arrive at the testing ceter at about 8:25. I sit out in my car reviewing notes until about 8:40, and then head inside.

There were some technical difficulties, and the test couldn't begin. At 8:50, I was told to go for a cup of coffee or something, and be back in about 30 minutes. So I head back to my car, and take the time to do some more sudying on RRAS.

Come back in, and things still aren't working. At 9:35 I am offered to reschedule. I take it. I felt much underprepared for this test. I knew it was possible to pass, but with RRAS, IPsec, and Security Policies, I had several week areas. I decided this was a sign that I wasn't ready.

She started to fill out my card, and I changed my mind. I drove all the way here, I've studied hard, and there is definitely a chance that I can pass it. So I tell her to nevermind, and that I'll wait. I head back out to the car, and grab my book. (I was offered by the test protcor, and another woman was reviewing her book).

At just shy of 10, things start working, and at 10:02 I begin my test. Two hours later, it is done. Several things I expected to see but didn't, and several things I didn't expect to, I did. I know for sure one question I got wrong, because as I was leaving a comment on it, I realized I misread one of the answers.

It didn't matter. I scraped by with a 742. Last night I said this would either be my first failed test, or my closest pass. And I was correct.
I know what my weak areas are, and I'm not concerned. Likely I will never use RRAS since most networks rely on Cisco for that (and I will get a chance to redeem myself on the 293), and the security stuff will show up again on Security+, 70-293, 70-298, and 70-299. So at some point I will get it down.

Thanks for all the well wishes that I have received, and for answering the questions that I have posted.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This morning, I arrive at the testing ceter at about 8:25. I sit out in my car reviewing notes until about 8:40, and then head inside.

There were some technical difficulties, and the test couldn't begin. At 8:50, I was told to go for a cup of coffee or something, and be back in about 30 minutes. So I head back to my car, and take the time to do some more sudying on RRAS.

Come back in, and things still aren't working. At 8:35 I am offered to reschedule. I take it. I felt much underprepared for this test. I knew it was possible to pass, but with RRAS, IPsec, and Security Policies, I had several week areas. I decided this was a sign that I wasn't ready.

She started to fill out my card, and I changed my mind. I drove all the way here, I've studied hard, and there is definitely a chance that I can pass it. So I tell her to nevermind, and that I'll wait. I head back out to the car, and grab my book. (I was offered by the test protcor, and another woman was reviewing her book).

At just shy of 10, things start working, and at 10:02 I begin my test. Two hours later, it is done. Several things I expected to see, and several things I didn't expect to, I did. I know for sure one question I got wrong, because as I was leaving a comment on it, I realized I misread one of the answers.

It didn't matter. I scraped by with a 742. Last night I said this would either be my first failed test, or my closest pass. And I was correct. i know what my weak areas are, and I'm not concerned. Likely I will never use RRAS since most networks rely on Cisco for that, and the security stuff will show up again on Security+, 70-293, 70-298, and 70-299. So at some point I will get it down.

Thanks for all the well wishes that I have received, and for answering the questions that I have posted.

Congrats! I knew you'd pass. icon_thumright.gif

Sec+ next?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security+, but I am going to take a few days off to enjoy the summer. Maybe I'll start next weekend?

Oh, and this is the last test for MCSA. I have instructed my friends to address me as Mr. MCSA from now on lol. Let's see how long that lasts...
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass!
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mr. MCSA, icon_wink.gif

Congrats on your pass and new cert.
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats Mr. MCSA!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Security+, but I am going to take a few days off to enjoy the summer. Maybe I'll start next weekend?

Oh, and this is the last test for MCSA. I have instructed my friends to address me as Mr. MCSA from now on lol. Let's see how long that lasts...

Im taking it July 28th.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Wow, what a morning!
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_cheers.gif
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats, it is/was a tough exam.
    Good luck on the Security +. I am currently on the same track.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice one Mr. MCSA!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Congrats Mr. MCSA, I will hopefully be there in a couple weeks after I do the 70-680.
    Microsoft updated my transcript already to include that I passed this test. Also, the certification planner says that I have completed the MCSA (A+ and Network+ are my elective exam). But my transcript doesn't list the MCSA credential. Just that I have passed all of the tests.

Is this normal?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe the electives havent transferred over properly?

I'd say give them a few days to wake up to the fact that they have a brand spanking new MCSA and fix the damn transcript.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Norrlands TurkNorrlands Turk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It takes them a couple of days to list your MCSA on your transcript for some reason. In my case it took 4 or 5 days, so I would say it is normal.
    WIP (Q2 - 2012):
    Undecided
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratz Mr. MCSA DevilsBane Sir! You somehow managed to keep your composure and pass the exam.
    How does your lab look like?
    varelg wrote: »
    Congratz Mr. MCSA DevilsBane Sir! You somehow managed to keep your composure and pass the exam.
    How does your lab look like?
    I used VMWARE with 4 servers and 2 clients.

Sever01: Sever with RRAS installed and used NAT
    Sever02: DC and DNS
    Sever03: DC and DNS and WSUS
    Server04: Child DC with DNS
    Client01: Workstation
    Client02: Workstation on child domain

This was overkill, but I was bored and just kept adding to it.

I'm sorry, I forgot to update you all. So on sunday the test showed up on my transcript, and on Monday the certifcication showed up. Congrats to Microsoft for not giving me another MCP ID!
  • KikodeKikode Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You better watch your tone Mr. MCSA. I kid congrats on the pass!
    Kikode wrote: »
    You better watch your tone Mr. MCSA. I kid congrats on the pass!

Oh just wait until you have to address me as Mr. MCSE. Those that do not obey will be dealt with.

I'm debating if I want to order the certificate. I want it, but I'm not sure if it is worth $11 to get my MCSA and MCP. I could wait a few months and get my MCSE, MCSA, MCP for $12...

Do you get a new certificate for MCSE:S?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□