Reconcile or jetpack utility

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
So last night I was doing a transcender, and the question was something about noticing some jet errors. I went with reconcile the database, with the reasoning that it can be done without stopping the dhcp service. And if that didn't clear up my problems, then I could stop the service and use the utility.

Well, transcender said thats wrong. They said that jet errors are a sign that there is an error and it needs the utility, and that reconcile is only good for clearing up problems when there are multiple dhcp servers.

So I go with it, Transcender is gernally pretty accurate, and their definitions make since.

Well now today I am taking the 10 questions found here on TE, and the 3rd question in or so is basically the same scenario, except now the correct answer is to reconcile.

Any tips here?
3. You are the network administrator for a large organization with 8 Windows Server 2003 computers and 1600 Windows XP Professional computers. DHCP is used to assign IP addressing to the clients and are registered dynamically in DNS.

You are about to add a new IP address reservation in the DHCP database and notice that the current amount of leases is much lower than usual. After double-checking the configuration and noticing JET errors in the Event Viewer, you suspect there is something wrong with the DHCP database.

What should you try first to find and fix inconsistencies in the DHCP database?
[SIZE=-1]a. Use the JetPack utility to compact and repair the DHCP database[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]b. Use the Reconcile All Scopes option in the DHCP snap-in[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]c. Click the Verify Database button on the Advanced tab of the DHCP server properties[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]d. Synchronize the DHCP database with the information from the DDNS database[/SIZE]
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this the transcender or the TE question? This question doesn't mention how many DHCP servers you have. If this is the TE question did the Transcender question mention how many DHCP servers you have as that may be key as to what step you would take to remedy the problem.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suspect this is an issue with the scope of the two questions.

Transcender probably said something about not stoping the DHCP service without actually saying it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is the TE question.

The Transcender question just said "a dhcp server." So while technically it only means that there is one, often this could be used in error. I have a computer at home, well actually I have several. Just because I said I have a computer at home doesn't mean that I only have 1.

I'll have to look up the exact wording of the Transcender question and post it.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I’m also studying for this exam. I would have chosen the same as in reconciling the database. If I recall correctly shouldn't you really only use Jetpack utility to improve performance or when it becomes unstable?

To quote the 291 MS-press book:

"If you detect that the DHCP database information is missing or inconsistent, you can attempt to resolve the problem by reconciling DCHP data for any or all scopes"
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

I think jetpack is mainly for offline compaction. A friend of mine told me to assume that is all it does for this exam.
    So how was the answer on your question Jetpack. Rather than Reconcile?

I don't know. You would have to ask Transcender on that one. I reviewed the MS pressbook, and it only briefly mentions the jetpack utility, and only says it is for compacting.

Reconciling is also only briefly mention, and is only used in the context of comparing the information in the database to the information in the registry.

Maybe these errors were a result of the DHCP database being greater than 30MB? althought the question didn't say that directly, that is when an offline compaction (aka Jetpack utility) would be useful.
    "If you detect that the DHCP database information is missing or inconsistent, you can attempt to resolve the problem by reconciling DCHP data for any or all scopes"

Yeah I looked it up in the book also.. Above is what is really mentioned in the book about reconciling.