Is CCDE higher than CCIE ?

s2008s2008 Banned Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took my CCNP 7 years back, and now I want to obtain CCIE, but I just discovered that there is a new certificate called CCDE which according to Cisco it's higher than CCIE:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/3253-102-1-8829/CCDE-LevelCertdatasheet.pdf

I thought for years that CCIE is the highest certificate for networking industry wise!

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to cisco, kind of.

There is a cert higher than both of them but it requires the CCDE (not the CCIE) as a prereq. Take a look here at the CCAr
    IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems
  • s2008s2008 Banned Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems to me that "Cisco Certified Architect" is more business oriented rather than a technical one......

However, I was researching CCDE but I couldn't find any book on Amazon nor Ciscopress covering it!
    s2008 wrote: »
    It seems to me that "Cisco Certified Architect" is more business oriented rather than a technical one......

However, I was researching CCDE but I couldn't find any book on Amazon nor Ciscopress covering it!

Did you see this?

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1673
    knwminus wrote: »

Those are too many books!, I checked some of them and it seems some are outdated, it's better to have all the updated topics in a single book like "CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th Edition)".
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those are too many books!, I checked some of them and it seems some are outdated, it's better to have all the updated topics in a single book like "CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th Edition)".

Apparently you haven't seen the CCIE reading list (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4601). The CCIE Certification Guide alone is nowhere near enough to pass.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    that book would be like 20,000 plus pages deep, covering at least 4 years worth of study material to include a vast array of topics. They would end up cutting that into a massive series of books like the ones in the link, only they would name it CCDE volume 1, 2, 3 , and on and on....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Don't take offense (especially from a lowly CCNA) but maybe you should try one of the other pro exams before you do the CCIE. Perhaps CCIP so you can break you CCIE studies into chunks....

Also have you been keeping you CCNP up? If you took it 7 years ago you CCNP is long expired. You could start by renewing your NP. The CCIE (or CCNP for that matter) is not something you can pass from one book.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Apparently you haven't seen the CCIE reading list (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4601). The CCIE Certification Guide alone is nowhere near enough to pass.
    I would agree with you somehow..., but since I have CCNP certificate the guide will be enough for me to update my information and pass the written exam.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you are overestimating that book. A lot of the material has changed in the time since you have taken your CCNP. There is probably going to be a lot more learning involved than you think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    If you took it 7 years ago you CCNP is long expired.
    You know, I have lots of certificates Cisco CCNP+CCDA+CCNA, Microsoft MCSE, Novell CNA+CNE, Linux.

All those industrial certificate require "Recertification"icon_sad.gif, thus they need Time/Money, and sometimes I think it would be better to **** all of them and concentrate on Academic certificates since they never expire....
    You know, I have lots of certificates Cisco CCNP+CCDA+CCNA, Microsoft MCSE, Novell CNA+CNE, Linux.

All those industrial certificate require "Recertification"icon_sad.gif, thus they need Time/Money, and sometimes I think it would be better to **** all of them and concentrate on Academic certificates since they never expire....

I am not going to argue the validity of certs but I will say that I have never seen certificates (like Pro certificates from schools) required on a job posting.
    I am not going to argue the validity of certs but I will say that I have never seen certificates (like Pro certificates from schools) required on a job posting.
    Master degrees and PHDs, for job posts such as CTO (Chief Technology Officer) or "Technical Manager", or even a CEO position.
    Master degrees and PHDs, for job posts such as CTO (Chief Technology Officer) or "Technical Manager", or even a CEO position.

That isn't a certificate. That's a degree.

Professional certification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Professional certification (Computer technology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My school offers a "certificate" in network studies but it is not the same thing as an A.A.S in Network Engineering or a CCNA. They are different.
    That isn't a certificate. That's a degree.
    But also called "Academic certificates" as I mentioned in my previous post....
    But also called "Academic certificates" as I mentioned in my previous post....

...Ok.

All I am saying is that they aren't worth as much as true certifications from vendors or 3rd party vendor neutral respect organizations. IMO anyway...
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    kalebksp wrote: »

Holy crap! I have 4, and only planned on reading 5 of those books. Then again that's for the written portion only.
    I have looked at the reading list before. I have never thought that it was realistic.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm five down on the list, only fifteen to go woo hoo!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCIE cert guides at best are introductions, no way in hell you could pass even the written from them alone. As for the recommended reading list I found about 5/6 of them were critical and the rest good for little tidbits the others missed. You won't really be memorizing 20 books worth, there's a lot of overlap.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    The reading list is there to make sure all topics are covered. Main thing is to understand the technologies and get on the equipment. Once you understand the technologies and are fast enough reading through the configuration guides and command references cover to cover for most topics doesn't hurt. Passing the written means nothing not even worth discussing imo.