Options

are there any i.t people here who work from home.

are there any i.t people who works from home like remotely?

If so how do you concentrate and not get distracted?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are there any i.t people who works from home like remotely?

If so how do you concentrate and not get distracted?

I've been doing a good bit of work from home prepping for an upcoming VOIP deployment. I've been writing out what I need to complete for that day and the next. It almost motivates me knowing what has to be done.

I've also found that cranking up my XM and zoning out helps keep me on track.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I do a LOT of after-hours work from home. A Juniper Networks SSL VPN makes it a cakewalk. I find that I can get far more done from home due to less distractions and office "chit-chat".
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also work from home, ussually after-hours. Sometimes to work on a few tickets or a project. I'm currently migrating some VMware Server VM's to our new ESX box and rebuilding a few a server that runs nagios and our new ticketing system
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I also work from home, ussually after-hours. Sometimes to work on a few tickets or a project. I'm currently migrating some VMware Server VM's to our new ESX box and rebuilding a few a server that runs nagios and our new ticketing system

Sounds a lot like the kinda stuff I do from home. Thank the IT Gods for OOB management :)
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Make sure you do more from home than your office.

I lock myself in a room and run 3 monitors for productivity. Only focus on the job and realize these businss users need your help and you want to help them. Go the extra mile and assist in anyway possible
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Make sure you do more from home than your office.

I lock myself in a room and run 3 monitors for productivity. Only focus on the job and realize these businss users need your help and you want to help them. Go the extra mile and assist in anyway possible

Yep. If you work from home you have to be very careful to ensure you are visible and getting useful stuff done for the company promptly. Always make sure you are contactable and respond quickly to work coming in.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yep. If you work from home you have to be very careful to ensure you are visible and getting useful stuff done for the company promptly. Always make sure you are contactable and respond quickly to work coming in.

Exactly

Don't get me wrong I'll get up for 20 mins sit outside and smoke a cigar, but for the most part I am on my game until my time is up. Even then I'll stay a little after. I'm currently creating some reports from Access 2007 and that's not even one of my job duties. I could simple use the we don't support that cliche, but thats for losers and people who don't want to get ahead.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I work half the week in the office and the other half from home. I usually kick on pandora to focus. It's nice to be able to work from home I think I get alot more done there, considering I have more machines to play/test with and I don't have to worry about security policies and downloads being blocked when testing certain things.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It is the rare week when I have to go to the office, I'm either at a clients site or working from home. It definitely helps if you can designate an area as your work area. Especially if you can use a room for your "office." Keep it clean so that there are less distractions around. It's pretty much all about remove yourself from what distracts you from doing your work properly.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I work from home three days a week. I don't have too much trouble focusing, I just close the door to my office and get to work. I've been working from home for around six months without issue.