Good Open Source Remote Access Software

SpaCeTraNceSpaCeTraNce Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
After reading the previous post regarding open source monitoring software I decided to ask about open source remote access software.

Are there any good open source remote access packages out there?

I have been working on getting a consulting/repair business off the ground.. I have looked at a bomgar box and really like the fact that it supports apple, linux, windows and mobile devices and you can even reboot windows into safe mode and still work with it (from what I have been told by other techies) remotely. But it isn't open source....

I don't like logmein to much....

So, what are your opinions?

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VNC. Its open source, cross platform, and there's a number of different clients to choose from.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bomgar was too expensive for us. $2,000 per tech yearly! We don't have anything in place at the moment. Check this one out, it's a good competitor for Bomgar:

SimpleHelp - Web based remote support and access software for a one time purchase

We haven't purchased it yet, but I think we will eventually (I had to fight this morning to get my Technet Plus renewed, and that's only because it gets us priority support). It's MUCH more affordable, presumably since it runs on your own equipment, not an appliance. I've also tried this one:

ShowMyPC: Remote Support, Desktop Sharing, Access Remote PC Free, Web Conferencing

It's okay (uses VNC), but I deal with a lot of multi monitor setups at banks and this thing will display all the monitors side by side and I have to really squint to see what's going on with my laptop.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • SpaCeTraNceSpaCeTraNce Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I will look at these options. I like the fact that with simplehelp you only pay the one time fee....

If anyone out there has any experience with SimpleHelp I would like to know the disadvantages/advantages that you have encounted in using the software.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Decided to hijack this thread instead of creating a new one.

I need to help my inlaws set up their new wireless router. I would like to be able to connect remotely and control their computer. What is a good, free way to do this?
    Both my computer and theirs are Windows ( mine is Vista Ultimate theirs is Window 7 Pro). I would like to do this as painlessly as possible for them. They are not technically savvy and live 6 hours away.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    Decided to hijack this thread instead of creating a new one.

I need to help my inlaws set up their new wireless router. I would like to be able to connect remotely and control their computer. What is a good, free way to do this?
    Both my computer and theirs are Windows ( mine is Vista Ultimate theirs is Window 7 Pro). I would like to do this as painlessly as possible for them. They are not technically savvy and live 6 hours away.

I use LogMeIn free for my folks. It just works.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks veritas. Got it set up on their laptop and they can just have that laptop plugged into their new router and we're set.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too vote for VNC. I usually layer it on top of ssh for encryption (I use Putty for an ssh client.)