OSPF taken outa the game

AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just read that OSPF has been taken out of the picture first the 64 bit ver of 2003 then later on totally in 2008. Question is why .... is it because OSPF is for the (Big boys) larger networks that can sustain the cost of expensive routers.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've not heard this, but unless they have brought in a different protocol then I highly doubt it. RIP can't sustain a very large network, so by taking OSPF out, Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot. (If anyone even uses a server for their router, I have never heard of one being in an enterprise enviornment.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't understand why a server needs to support ospf anyway. Static routes should be enough. Let routers do routing. Yes I know about RRAS.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OSPF has been removed from 2008. The only mention of it in the MS Press training kit was that it was removed. It never really gave a reason. Knowing it had been removed helped on some practice test questions as it automatically eliminated one of the answers.
    I just suppose it is due to only the BIG boys use OSPF.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    OSPF has been removed from 2008. The only mention of it in the MS Press training kit was that it was removed. It never really gave a reason. Knowing it had been removed helped on some practice test questions as it automatically eliminated one of the answers.
    I just suppose it is due to only the BIG boys use OSPF.

If by big then you mean a shop with more than 15 routing devices then yea.
    knwminus wrote: »
    If by big then you mean a shop with more than 15 routing devices then yea.
    Hmmm....you put it that way and I'm still left wondering why it was taken out.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Hmmm....you put it that way and I'm still left wondering why it was taken out.

Probably to discourage anyone from using Windows Server as a router. Some firewalls only support rip.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never seen a company use their server as a router, and if I ever did, I'd recommend against it. You don't need an expensive router to do basic routing with RIP or OSPF.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I never saw the feature used, networking people laugh at the idea. So basically might as well remove the feature. I am sure some third party will fill in the gap if there are enough people out there using it.
    -Daniel
    OSPF is still on the 70-291. The question just kind of veered off due to the fact that OSPF was removed from Server 2008 and it was never really stated why.
    OSPF is still available on Server 2003 so is still testable.