Get a Free Year of Amazon Prime with an .EDU Address

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I <3 Amazon Prime.

Too bad it doesn't look like you can extend your existing membership a year icon_sad.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I <3 Amazon Prime.

Too bad it doesn't look like you can extend your existing membership a year icon_sad.gif

Exactly what I was about to say. I saw this on slickdeals.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't work for gmail provided .edu addresses like mine (NAME@g.SCHOOL.edu) icon_sad.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Doesn't work for gmail provided .edu addresses like mine (NAME@g.SCHOOL.edu) icon_sad.gif

It works for mine, but I heard it doesn't work well for this.this.edu addresses.
  • wizardfishwizardfish Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I <3 Amazon Prime.

Actually, here's what happens for existing Prime members: your current subscription is cancelled, then the "student" Prime goes from today's date forward for one year, AND YOU ARE REFUNDED THE PRORATED AMOUNT from your original Prime membership.

I know, because I just did it. I'd have been perfectly happy to simply get an "extra" 6 months of membership for free, but then I got the email from Amazon telling me that I'd be credited for the "unused" 6 months of my original Prime membership.

So the only thing that you lose is your anniversary / renewal date. It's a great deal.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I <3 Amazon Prime.

I also <3 Prime. Excellent service to really get you into their hooks. Now I never buy things at book stores and check there before I buy almost anything any place else...
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you much for this. I might have to sign up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is there any kind of verification post the email sent from Amazon. The issue is I went back to school during spring so I still have my .edu email and it seems like the email is permanent lol. I don't know if I'm going to take any more classes at the university though. Is it worth the risk? (shady, I know)
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Saw this on another forum last night.

Good deal.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Thanks for posting, veritas. Nice freebie.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice! When I first saw it I thought it would involve getting another amazon account but the process was quick and painless. Of course I did have to say I attended school in Utah for WGU to be a choice of schools and Information Technology wasn't a choice of major.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just signed up - awesome! icon_thumright.gif
  • jrdeleon1jrdeleon1 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Worked for me! Thanks, Veritas! icon_cheers.gif
  • TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got in on this as well even though I was already a Prime member. I also got a prorated refund of the remainder of my existing Prime account and then got the student year for free. I <3 Amazon. Thanks for letting us in on the deal! icon_thumright.gif
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It works for mine, but I heard it doesn't work well for this.this.edu addresses.

It worked for me. knwminus@My.School.Edu
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    It worked for me. knwminus@My.School.Edu

Cool, maybe they fixed it! :D
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool, maybe they fixed it! :D

I believe they did. I just tried again and it worked :D
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It worked fine for me with my @knights.ucf.edu address.

Good find!
    I did this today, it worked with my me.x.y.edu address!
    I thought it would be nice to bump this for those that missed it back in July. Looks like the offer is still going on, and I love using Amazon Prime.

Amazon Student is the direct link to the amazon page.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I thought it would be nice to bump this for those that missed it back in July. Looks like the offer is still going on, and I love using Amazon Prime.

Amazon Student is the direct link to the amazon page.

Yeah, I found out about this offer from one of the WGU student sites, and I absolutely love it. It's going to be a sad day when it expires, but I plan on buying everything I need in advance before it does.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    so if i sign up today, i get it for another year?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got it. Awesome, thanks :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I found out about this offer from one of the WGU student sites, and I absolutely love it. It's going to be a sad day when it expires, but I plan on buying everything I need in advance before it does.

Amen to that. I'm saving gobs of money on shipping with it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i love this, i buy everything from amazon now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i love this, i buy everything from amazon now

Good or bad, right? I've started buying stuff that I don't really need on there, just because the price is right and it will be here in 2 days.

So take this warning to heart. Amazon Prime will bankrupt you.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Good or bad, right? I've started buying stuff that I don't really need on there, just because the price is right and it will be here in 2 days.

So take this warning to heart. Amazon Prime will bankrupt you.

This is actually quite serious--this isn't indicative of Amazon Prime offering sweet free shipping...this is more of impulsive spending, which is in the same vein as drugs and alcohol. (Not joking.) If left unchecked, you could seriously go broke.

I can afford (or rather have more than enough on my credit cards) to have the latest and greatest living room tech imaginable...in fact, if I wanted to right now, I could have a 60" LED TV with the best 7.1 audio system and could throw in LED TVs for every room in my house and would still have enough credit to pay my bills--all from Amazon Prime shippers. However, I don't because I'm not trying to file bankruptcy. There is a difference between want and need.

Take this warning to heart--if you don't need it, don't buy it. Your credit and wallet will thank you.
    Not a student? No problem.

Amazon Mom

You can get amazon prime for free by being a primary caregiver to a child as well as getting 30% off diapers and other baby things.
    I don't believe this has been talked about for awhile. I've recently shared the program with some friends that hadn't heard of Amazon student. I figure there are probably some new folks around here that also aren't aware.

Amazon Student

Merry Belated Christmas

PS, its only 6 months now. After your free time, it renews at $39/year. Which is still a pretty good deal. $39 for free 2 day shipping, free streaming, and free ebooks.