Options

CCDA Teare Book

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
One of the paths I'm considering now that I'm done with BCMSN is CCDA and then ROUTE.

The Diane Teare book seems to be one of the only comprehensive books on the material. However, it has pretty awful reviews on Amazon.

My question is: is it really so bad that I won't even enjoy reading it? Or is it more likely that the people reviewing it are exaggerating the flaws?
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I've found myself disagreeing with negative reviews on Amazon for this book. The Teare book is a good choice for the CCDA IMO and chances are the reviewers were not adequately prepared for the exam and bashed the material. I have the Official Exam Guide by Bruno and used that a while back for prep and found it more than sufficient. The Teare book goes more in depth and provides explanations to fill in gaps that the OEG leaves out. With your background as a CCNA +BCMSN you should do fine on the exam as long as you comprehend the theories that are being presented.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    AllthingsciscoAllthingscisco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rearden wrote: »
    One of the paths I'm considering now that I'm done with BCMSN is CCDA and then ROUTE.

The Diane Teare book seems to be one of the only comprehensive books on the material. However, it has pretty awful reviews on Amazon.

My question is: is it really so bad that I won't even enjoy reading it? Or is it more likely that the people reviewing it are exaggerating the flaws?

Hey Rearden,

I Have recently passed my CCNP - and started the CCDA - By Diane Teare (latest) - about 35% through and have found it to be very good, concise, and to the point - with good practice questions at the end of each chapter to check you understanding.

I could see if that you'd not done either Switch or Route you would struggle with some of the reading.

My advise would be to get it, I actually enjoy reading it which is strange for a change as I sometimes find myself bored to hell with some of the Cisco Press books

I was originally looking at going straight for CCDP - as CCDA has been heavily slated in some places - then go back to do CCDA - but im glad I choose CCDA first

Hope this Helps

Richard
    Total Pages Read Since '09: 4600

Current Read:
    QoS: 20
    IRA:30
    BGP:25
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am interested in this book as well. For those who have read it, is it a decent (cisco) network design book or is it a good CCDA prep book (or both)? Over the next months (years?) I will be redesigning our network and I would like a good book on network design. CCDA would be an after thought.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Its a good book for the CCDA prep but I actually got more use out of reading Cisco Datacenter Fundamentals and a few of the oreilly books... just my 0.02
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The book is actually a very good read. If your not BCMSN/switch or BSCI/route certified, some concepts may seem a bit difficult at first, but with a little more research you can get passed it.

I enjoyed the security and Voice aspects of the book. This book has lead me to pursue the CCNA Security cert and onto the security track later next year. The entire ideology of SONA, IIN, cisco enterprise architect design, and modular networks is very important and has improved my network skills dramatically. I see and approach my job in a whole new manner. I plan on finishing this year with the CCDP cert as i have dedicated most of 2010 to design ideology and to continue were CCDA left off because i actually enjoyed what i learned from the CCDA and i am desperate for more design information lol

Good book in my opinion.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Thanks for the advice guys.

It seems that it's the usual case of the unsatisfied people having the loudest voices.

Ordering as we speak.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rearden wrote: »
    It seems that it's the usual case of the unsatisfied people having the loudest voices.
    I'd agree with that assessment. The old 1st edition had 4 & 5 star reviews -- and the one 3 star review was by someone who rated the old book for use with the new exam icon_scratch.gif

I've never read a Diane Teare Cisco Press book I didn't like like.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!