CISSP Associate without experience - overkill?

codeacecodeace Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
As I mentioned in the other post I'm aiming for the CEH by the end of this year. I have quiet a bit of time to play with before I apply for InfoSec jobs. And I stumbled upon the Associate of ISC2 - CISSP for those who don't have 5 years industry experience. I have just enough experience to sit for the SSCP.

Assuming that I wouldn't have a problem earning CPEs or studying for the exam, would it be appealing to a prospective employer that I reached high for the gold standards or would it just make me look over-qualified? [I understand it depends on their perspective, but just wanted to know your opinion]

Also, do they strip-off the certifications if I do not earn minimum CPEs?
Everything happens for a good reason! Don't question it. Just accept it :)

Comments

• codeacecodeace Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read some responses here. It seems better to stick with SSCP.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    For anyone in this situation, I would really consider the following strategy:
    1. If you have the knowledge and work experience, go straight for the CISSP,
    2. If you lack the knowledge and the work experience, go for the SSCP.
    3. If you think you can pass the CISSP (with some study), but don't have the work experience, go for the the SSCP first and then the Associate CISSP.
    4. If you don't have any security certs yet, start with the Security+.
    I'm seeing an increasing number of employers who give the Associate CISSP designation the same regard as the full CISSP cert--including the U.S. DoD. It seems some employers are only interested that their new security hires have passed a really hard exam, but don't necessarily have the 5-6 year of solid InfoSec work experience. And that is the choice of the employer. Some employers also consider an Associates degree to be adequate college experience and therefore don't require a Bachelors degree. And that is an employer's choice too.

There are things that anyone looking to enter the InfoSec work force should consider.
  • codeacecodeace Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3. If you think you can pass the CISSP (with some study), but don't have the work experience, go for the the SSCP first and then the Associate CISSP.

That makes sense and applies well to me. Thank you JD :)