Info for Veterans

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
I just found out about this benefit, which could be of use for some of you who want to take high cost training.

Accelerated Payment Information - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

What is an Accelerated Payment?
An accelerated payment is a lump sum payment of 60% of tuition and fees for certain high cost, high tech programs. If you do not have sufficient entitlement to cover 60% of tuition and fees, we will pay you based on your actual remaining entitlement.
VA will make accelerated payments for one term, quarter, or semester at a time. However, if the program is not offered on a term, quarter or semester basis, the accelerated payment is paid for the entire program. To qualify, you must be enrolled in a high tech program and you must certify that you intend to seek employment in a high tech industry as defined by VA. Accelerated payment is paid instead of Montgomery GI Bill benefits that you would otherwise receive.

Take a look at this:

United States Veterans - Guide to benefits and training for US military veterans.

veterans_benefits_example.gif

:o

Looks like the CEH and ECSA are covered, as well as at least a few GIAC exams!

You can search for your exam here:
- (Weams Licenses/Certifications Search)

The naming can be a little funny, so just highlight certification, click search and browse through.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thanks for the info!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting. I have read about the Accelerated Payment thing before but didn't realize it was good for the programs you mentioned, that's great!
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's interesting, I got this breakdown from a training company when I used them:

$2495
    -350 Airfare
    -550 Lodging
    -60 Book/Test prep/Lab Manual
    -134 Meals
    -100 Admin/app fee
    $1,301 Tuition

The VA will only pay 60% of tuition and fees.

$1,301 Tuition
    -100 Admin/app fee
    *60% = $840.60

So maybe it depends on the site? Whereas my example shows that the airfare and lodging came out out my hide in the end, since they deducted it from the 'tuition' before submitting it to the VA to be reimbursed at 60%.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    and going back further, from another training class from the same provider in 2008:

After your discounts, you are responsible for paying $4,870.00 before the courses begin.

The VA will make payments to you toward your training in these estimated amounts:
    · $1,890.00 for the program

...which is roughly 60%. They really dinged me on the second one, above, didn't they? I think I will email them about this... i am awful at math but I think they gypped me out of about $800 from the VA.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ouch. I'm looking at Intense School's 10 day pentesting course.

should cut me down from 7000 to close to 3000
    Update on this: According to the VA, the organization must be approved for VA Benefits, and is a reimbursement... not so cool, but there may be ways around that, contact your training provider to see what you can work out.

I can see that at least 2 training providers are approved, CED Solutions and The Training Camp.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any college student vets that have had the VA pay for their Microsoft academic priced exams (72-XXX series). They only list the 70-XXX series exams on their list of approved certifications. I sent them an email but they never replied.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    your best bet is to call, 1888gibill1

Add New Horizons and NETCOM IT to that list, no Intense School... icon_sad.gif...