Design Network for 500 Staff/Employees

GPUGPU Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff (note: every single one wont exactly have a PC) which he will compare with 6 other guys and who has the best overall design lands the job.

Help, I'm a CCNA not a CCDP or CCIE or even CCDA

The 5 main areas of the building are 1.Fire Department-2.Security(this has 20 stations)-3.Stores(where everything is tore)-4.Executive Management (HR,General Manager, Chairman, Secretary's,Chief Financial Officer,Accounts, etc...)-5.Energy Management (IT Manager,Network Manager,Electronics repair guys, two secretary's) and they will be communicating the other buildings of its similar structure in other locations but with 1/4 to 1/2 it's amount of people and size.

One Guess :D
I use one router for the whole network and 5 smart swithes, then use mac address to set access lists and restrictions and dhcp to supply IP address to eg: one batch of ip's for security

Thanks,
Awaiting your responses.
"A pyramid isn't built in one day my son" - Wise man
"How long does it take to build one?" - You
"As long as it takes!" - Wise man

A word to the wise

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GPU wrote: »
    Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff

So when he said you have to design it, what he really meant was ask a bunch of people on the internet to do it for you? Interesting...
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff (note: every single one wont exactly have a PC) which he will compare with 6 other guys and who has the best overall design lands the job.

The 5 main areas of the building are 1.Fire Department-2.Security(this has 20 stations)-3.Stores(where everything is tore)-4.Executive Management (HR,General Manager, Chairman, Secretary's,Chief Financial Officer,Accounts, etc...)-5.Energy Management (IT Manager,Network Manager,Electronics repair guys, two secretary's) and they will be communicating the other buildings of its similar structure in other locations but with 1/4 to 1/2 it's amount of people and size.

I use one router for the whole network and 5 smart swithes, then use mac address to set access lists and restrictions and dhcp to supply IP address to eg: one batch of ip's for security

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.

IMHO...and I do apologize for this, but you're way in over your head. Like @kalebksp said, you are supposed to design this and asking us how to do it, its clearly not for you. Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052725 . start reading ;)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.

IMHO...and I do apologize for this, but you're way in over your head. Like @kalebksp said, you are supposed to design this and asking us how to do it, its clearly not for you. Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice CCDA Self-Study: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) 640-863 . start reading ;)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.

GPU,

What is one smart switch?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kalebksp wrote: »
    So when he said you have to design it, what he really meant was ask a bunch of people on the internet to do it for you? Interesting...

Maybe we get a cut of the pay?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GPU,

Maybe a managed switch... or a layer 3 switch
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you embelished your resume then you should design it with the knowledge you have to the best of your abilities. Did he put limits on the number of switches and routers or what types? Use your switch knowledge and your subnetting knowledge and design your network. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job.
    If you have a particular problem or question people here are much more open to helping but they don't take kindly to requests to do your work for you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    And of course the main question, Did you read the job description? If so, did you think you could do the job or did you think you could just slide through the cracks like many paper-cert people do, only to be fired later?

Because of the (E) in MCSE I have been challenged with similar tasks, but of course I still have my job because I've done the work. I have been asked network engineering questions in job interviews because the interviewer was an old network guy. I still got the jobs and did the work.

Do the work. Even if you don't get the job, you'll feel better about trying instead of cheating. The is the same concept that you should have had in high school or college. How can you learn anything if you copy the work of others?

Invest in Office 2007/2010 with Visio and get going.
  • GPUGPU Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GPU,

knwminus <--- He answered your question.

A word to the wise
    earweed wrote: »
    Unless you embelished your resume then you should design it with the knowledge you have to the best of your abilities. Did he put limits on the number of switches and routers or what types? Use your switch knowledge and your subnetting knowledge and design your network. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job.
    If you have a particular problem or question people here are much more open to helping but they don't take kindly to requests to do your work for you.

No limits, you can do anything and everything you want. How about 5 routers :D per section?

I want to know how many routers and switches do I need? I want to put 5 layer 3 switches on per section and one router to manage the whole thing and allow it to talk to other locations abroad. I didn't necessarily wanting the whole thing drawn out, unless you have a save from packet tracer that is good to work with and edit for this design.

A word to the wise
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This thread reminds me of this: Calling All Linux Experts - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

Someone might be willing to answer a specific question you may have, but I don't think anyone's going to do your interview project for you...
    dynamik wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of this: Calling All Linux Experts - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

Someone might be willing to answer a specific question you may have, but I don't think anyone's going to do your interview project for you...

That's for sure.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    qplayed wrote: »
    Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) (Authorized CCDA Self-Study Guide) (Exam 640-863), 2nd Edition . start reading ;)

I agree with what qplayed said. I don't think anyone here is going to do this for you. Help you but not do it for you. If someone did this stuff for you and you turned it into the manager. Then the manager starts to ask you questions on why you "designed" the network the way you did and you don't know anything on "your design"... what do you think will happen??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    What's the budget? How many PCs? How many servers? Need wireless? How many closets, and how many users per closet?

But yea, you're in way over your head. Hit the books/blogs/case studies or hire a consultant.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I typed a long reply to this, talking about VLANs, ACLs, and how your 5 switches won't support 250 users (let alone 500 give or take)...but yeah, it was pointless.
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I typed a long reply to this, talking about VLANs, ACLs, and how your 5 switches won't support 250 users (let alone 500 give or take)...but yeah, it was pointless.

Depends on the switch. If they were chassis switches...
    Guys my design is attached. What do you think? Is it ok?

A word to the wise
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Guys my design is attached. What do you think? Is it ok?
    Uhh... If that really is your design and you're not just trying to tr oll then you should think about investing in something like Visio to do your diagrams. The diagram you linked is unreadable.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Uhh... If that really is your design and you're not just trying to tr oll then you should think about investing in something like Visio to do your diagrams. The diagram you linked is unreadable.

Thanks, ordering it right now! But what do you think? Also should I do port trunking (for more bandwidth)?

A word to the wise
    tiersten wrote: »

The funny thing is, I suggested Visio many posts ago. I guess sometimes people have to read it more than once?
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is that diagram on a napkin???
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    I would have just recommended using a straight edge for your lines and some time put in to make a readable drawing. Legible handwriting goes a long way also.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    pitviper wrote: »
    Is that diagram on a napkin???

I think its a happy sock.
    There is even an opemsource version of visio which you'll find if you google visio
    earweed wrote: »
    There is even an opemsource version of visio which you'll find if you google visio

Dia? Or is there something new I don't know about?
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    This is getting interesting. Why are you designing your network with a single point of failure - one router? You should know your skills and capabilities, not just blag this job. I do encourage you to go onto the interview and do the best you can from which you can extract what your weaknesses are and do better next time, maybe pick up a few books to reand an learn.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Dia? Or is there something new I don't know about?
    Dia is one of several available here Visio | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com

About the single point of failure..That is something the OP should address and is a good reason for him to post his proposed network here. It's kind of obvious he's starting from scratch and not thinking things through but we are here to helpicon_thumright.gif
    Address the single point of failure and get a better drawing. If you turned in that chicken scratch to your (hopeful) prospective boss he will give you the boot.
    No longer one point of failure, I hope you like my design now.

The job knows I'm a CCNA, not a CCDA or DP, just want me to do a little something outside of what I fully know.

What do you think about my design?
    md2.jpg 38.1K

A word to the wise
    Why so many routers? I know this isn't what you want to hear, but that is a horrible design. I think its time to start reading some books and labbing some stuff up.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just have to say this, you don't have to eat the guy clearly he's new in this and he asked for help so you have two options one is to help which i'm sure he appreciate a lot and the other is not to help which he will not mind as well but i don't understand all those bad comment about his questions then his designs.

Every one need help at some point, he didn't commit a crime by asking for it even if it's a HUGE help he's trying and we should encourage him.

As for me I just have to say this , i do have a ccna but i don't have a lot of experience in this so I'm sorry I can't help you much.