New Job W/ AT&T

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally landed a good job to move into the networking realm and get some hands on experience after getting my CCNP. I got an offer from AT&T as a Network Engineer. Very good pay. I'm pretty excited, it says that I will be dealing with BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, and QoS mainly. I'm excited to get some more experience with all these in a production environment, it will definitely help with my studying for my CCIE!!! :D

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally landed a good job to move into the networking realm and get some hands on experience after getting my CCNP. I got an offer from AT&T as a Network Engineer. Very good pay. I'm pretty excited, it says that I will be dealing with BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, and QoS mainly. I'm excited to get some more experience with all these in a production environment, it will definitely help with my studying for my CCIE!!! :D

Dude, that is most awesome. I'm sure you'll do well. Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

Good luck. I have consult for ATT a few times. They are good to learn at as well. They are always doing interesting stuff.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Once you get to mess around on the big provider network you won't ever want to mess around with the small enterprise networks again.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

Just wondering, how much networking experience do you have?
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    thats exciting news! congrats!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! icon_cheers.gif I'm sure it feels great!
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    knwminus wrote: »
    Congrats!

Just wondering, how much networking experience do you have?

To be honest, I've posted around somewhere on here before I don't even work in Networking right now. I work on a Help Desk, and got my CCNA and CCNP on my own self-study, to move into the networking field. So legit work experience, none at this point, only what I've learned by labbing at home. The best part is they already know that but are willing to train me, as well as invest in my CCIE studies :D I have to be honest, with the offer, I'm pretty blessed that I'll only have to drive 15 minutes to work from home, and make VERY good money.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    To be honest, I've posted around somewhere on here before I don't even work in Networking right now. I work on a Help Desk, and got my CCNA and CCNP on my own self-study, to move into the networking field.

That's fantastic. Proof that hard work and determination do pay off eventually. Congrats again.
    WIP: IPS exam
    I agree 100% and highly encourage anyone getting their CCNP that is discouraged in anyway KEEP GOING, it WILL pay off, maybe not immediately but eventually! I think It's a good place to lay my foundation :)
    Whats the job description if you don't mind me asking?
    Whats the job description if you don't mind me asking?

Let me see if I can round it up. Give me a few.
    I don't mind one bit.

Network Engineer
    Description
    Synopsis: Job Description for Network Engineer Support:

Isolate and resolve end-to-end connectivity issues within CPE router and telco circuit, including coordinating any required testing or dispatch among the site, vendor (s), and Telcos/LECs. Act as escalation point for difficult and critical issues. Advise customers of resolution. Oversee circuit, device, and configuration database. Help develop and improve techniques and procedures. Must be able to work closely with government personnel and other vendors onsite staff.

Qualifications:

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, plus two years experience
    troubleshooting Network issues - both circuit and routing.
    Relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
    Experience using Network Monitoring tools, e.g., Openview, Netview, Netcool, etc
    Current CCNP Certification a PLUS

Skills Required:

Cisco router configuration and management experience
    Knowledge of IP routing, especially EIGRP and BGP routing protocols.
    Knowledge of MPLS (Multi Protocol Layer Switching) networks including QOS
    Experience using a trouble ticket tracking system, e.g., Remedy, Peregrine, Action Request System, etc

Skills Desired:

Cisco VoIP
    MPLS and QOS
    SNA,
    DLSw+
    BGP, EIGRP
    Sounds like it should be a pretty good learning experience man. Good luck!
    Thanks man! I'm pretty excited. I hope to follow in your foot steps after talking with Mark on here, and since the CCIE R&S covers all areas of CCIP, go ahead and get the extra cert along the way. Congrats again on that awesome accomplishment!!!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! AT&T is a good gig. Best of luck in the future!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Congrats! Once you get to mess around on the big provider network you won't ever want to mess around with the small enterprise networks again.

Why do you say this Im currious. I worked on a big provider network where I provided access to voip and video services where I have no clue how many devices we managed. I've been on a network with a few hundred routers. I have also done networks where its 6 sites max. I actually prefer the smaller networks than the larger ones. I don't have to deal with the strict secruity requirements or argue with "internal" IT people cause they usually don't exsit. The only downside side is I cover a lot of ground cause I was usually with different customers everyday.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks man! I'm pretty excited. I hope to follow in your foot steps after talking with Mark on here, and since the CCIE R&S covers all areas of CCIP, go ahead and get the extra cert along the way. Congrats again on that awesome accomplishment!!!

Congrats man! Just curious, did you happen to know anyone or just did you just get an interview? The reason I ask is I thought about going after the CCNP but decided that I should probably wait until I get more experience. Sometimes a job comes down more to who you know rather than what. Just curious if this was the case in your situation.
    shodown wrote: »
    Why do you say this Im currious. I worked on a big provider network where I provided access to voip and video services where I have no clue how many devices we managed. I've been on a network with a few hundred routers. I have also done networks where its 6 sites max. I actually prefer the smaller networks than the larger ones. I don't have to deal with the strict secruity requirements or argue with "internal" IT people cause they usually don't exsit. The only downside side is I cover a lot of ground cause I was usually with different customers everyday.

I much more enjoy working with large scale complex topics rather than a couple switches a firewall and a router like smaller networks. That gets old a boring quick IMO. The topics like BGP, MPLS etc. are a lot more interesting to me also than STP or firewall rules.

Of course this only applies to the people actually running the provider network and not the guys doing break/fix support. Those jobs aren't overly interesting compared to an enterprise gig.

I don't know about that. I work for a national ISP in their NOC and I would kill for a small enterprise network again. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I work for a national ISP in their NOC and I would kill for a small enterprise network again. lol.

I was more referring to the people engineering the network not the NOC types. Those jobs blow for sure.
    I was more referring to the people engineering the network not the NOC types. Those jobs blow for sure.

Point made, and it does. But we all start somewhere. At least resume looks good... one of the best things about this job is the exposure to various vendor equipment and technologies.
    phantasm wrote: »
    Point made, and it does. But we all start somewhere. At least resume looks good... one of the best things about this job is the exposure to various vendor equipment and technologies.

Oh yeah, its not a bad job at all. Kind of like the help desk for the systems admin types, its just a necessary stop on the road to your dream job.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats man...hard work does pay off. It kinda gives me hope for my situation at the same time too. I'm working in desktop support right now and my job experience keeps drifting more and more in the systems direction. I really want to get my hands on network gear, though.

It's great to hear of someone getting a network engineer gig following the self-study/home lab route. I've wondered about getting the CCNP without hardcore network experience as well. You always hear that it's best to stop at CCNA until you get your hands dirty in a production network. Sounds like it worked out for you though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Congrats man! Just curious, did you happen to know anyone or just did you just get an interview? The reason I ask is I thought about going after the CCNP but decided that I should probably wait until I get more experience. Sometimes a job comes down more to who you know rather than what. Just curious if this was the case in your situation.

I did not get the job because I knew anyone. I interviewed for the job, the manager said that I interviewed extremely well, all four people that interviewed me were impressed and decided they wanted to hire me. I've been on about 3-5 interviews since getting my CCNP, didn't get any others, until this one.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Congrats, all the best

Did you get this job through an agency, job ad, or personal connections?