Am I ready for 'the beast'?

sixfeetdeepsixfeetdeep Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the 291 exam scheduled for this Thursday morning. I just finished reading the MPress book once. Now I'm going through the practice questions. Do you think I am ready? I understand why this exam is called 'the beast'. There is a lot of material! I want to take the test to get it over with and hope to pass, but I don't have $125 to throw away. I have tomorrow off from work. What do you think? Take it and pass with my MCSA or take it and fail and reschedule?? It is hard to feel confident with so much material. icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the 291 exam scheduled for this Thursday morning. I just finished reading the MPress book once. Now I'm going through the practice questions. Do you think I am ready? I understand why this exam is called 'the beast'. There is a lot of material! I want to take the test to get it over with and hope to pass, but I don't have $125 to throw away. I have tomorrow off from work. What do you think? Take it and pass with my MCSA or take it and fail and reschedule?? It is hard to feel confident with so much material. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you have only read the MSPress book and done the questions in the back of the book you may have a hard time at it. Did you do any of the labs? I didn't feel confident with the test after watching the CBT Nuggets and reading the In a Nutshell book.

I think if you lab like crazy and use the technet links to fill in the gaps you may have a shot. If it were my 125 on the line I would postpone it and make sure I knew at least how to configure everything on the stated objectives from the Microsoft Learning site.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobody is ever ready for the beast.

Kidding aside, it is hard to say. Some people can read a book once and essentially memorize all of the information contained. Others need to practice working with the material in a lab enviornment before it can sink in. I used the book, CBT Nuggets, and Transcender for this test, and still walked away pretty bloody.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Make sure you know and have labbed DNS inside out. The more you do on this the better. It would also help if you could lab up as much RRAS as you can.

As others have said, reading the book alone probably won't cut it, but I guess it depends how much experience you have working with this kinda stuff. Most people don't use RRAS so this is an area that needs extra attention.

Providing you do this, the exam really isn't that bad. The 293 is worse in my opinion.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • sixfeetdeepsixfeetdeep Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your comments! I re-scheduled to next Friday the 30th!