Resume with no I.T experience

someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
I don't have much experience but the resume for some reason is really lacking and I gotta start somewhere so I just want to start over with this resume.

I'm looking for ideas onl a better resume with a very limited amount of experience, I don't want to post my resume so I'll pm it to someone who's interested in seeing it but I really need alot of help with this.

I worked alot of lower end non I.T related jobs and I think it gives off a bad impression.
Ribs still touching....

Comments

• nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you're working right now, or what you've done in the past because the post is pretty vague...

But if you have no IT experience, I'd recommend two things.

1) Start on a certification path. What are you good at? What do you know? A+ is a really good place to start. Follow that up with a MCP/MCDST, or a Network+, and you'll be on the right track.

2) Again, don't know what your employment status is, but get a job full time, or even part time, in something remotely IT related. Best bet, and I'm biased, is get a job at the GeekSquad. You'll be doing the basics, but it's better than no experience. Add that up with a cert or two and you'll be fine.

Also, what is going on in regards to schooling?

How about you post your resume, we'll take a look.
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Resume uploaded and attached
    Ribs still touching....
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I don't know why you're hesistant to post it... looks OK. Any chance you can post a pdf or doc though so we can get a better idea of the formatting?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I see on the resume it actually looks good but we need to see format and all. Change the names of companies and such on the resume to generic names.

I recognize you from earlier posts Scott, how's it been going? It's about time with the experience and skills you have to get out of the securityguard uniform and into a permanent IT job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    earweed wrote: »
    From what I see on the resume it actually looks good but we need to see format and all. Change the names of companies and such on the resume to generic names.

I recognize you from earlier posts Scott, how's it been going? It's about time with the experience and skills you have to get out of the securityguard uniform and into a permanent IT job.

Yea really, need to get out of it and get a permanent job, resume attached and edited.
    Ribs still touching....
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Resume uploaded and attached
    Looks kind of ok.
    I'll give you a few pointers
    1) Some people (hiring managers) prefer italics to bold for titles of sections
    2) When you say "this, that, this thing, and that thing" don't forget the last comma
    3) For your non-IT experience if there is any customer service skills involved mention them
    4) Targeting entry level help desk positions should just be Summary
    5) Lose the horizontal lines seperating the sections
    Others may have more suggestions and may even disagree with mine. I'm just giving my opinion.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.