Great job opportunities in NYC, made a mistake

TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was doing great as a systems engineer interview went on over the phone. I was asked 'what exe is used to promote a member server to a domain controller?' I drew a complete blank and said i used the server manager to do so.

DC PROMO!!!

How could i forget? This is something i will never forget. On the bright side, my resume has been great to me =D

Someone, proceed to shoot me icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Needs 100K

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    dcpromo ?

That's the command used to promote a domain controller which was the answer to the question asked by the interviewer.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    You could install AD from server manager in server 2008 and up but not in server 2003 u got to go to run and type dcpromo.

I first learned about the dcpromo when I took on my first certification 2 years back.
  • TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Arrgghh cant believe i bungled that. Oh well, back to TrainSignal and CBT Nuggets 70-640, gonna nail that test ASAP. Kinda mad at myself now >_< icon_redface.gificon_study.gif
    Needs 100K
    Damn guys I suck >_<
    Needs 100K
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont take it too hard on yourself mate, 4 years ago I didnt know how to UNC to a machine, and I was getting interviewed for a junior system admin position.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon then hey it happens =D I just feel like tha was my position. Working super hard for my ESA now, guess it's for the better
    Needs 100K
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon then hey it happens =D I just feel like tha was my position. Working super hard for my ESA now, guess it's for the better

It almost always is.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Should just have explain to them that it has been so long since you did one that you forgot off the top of your head. They may overlook it to be honest with you.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I learned a lesson from one interview I went on.

1. When looking for a job refresh your memory with some recent CompTIA books. (Network+, Security+)

I am serious. There are things you are just used to doing and that are so basic you get tripped up on simple crap. I went on one interview and did awesome on the security questions since that was what I did for a living. But every time the Project Manager asked a question I got some crap he got off the Internet. I stumbled on Token Ring Network. Not because I did not know it but because I came from talking about security layers and access control via physical and logical. Then a question on troubleshooting Checkpoint NG. Then a question on what security policies I had written to Token Ring Networks...

I got the job but sat there for a minute and I swear I heard the "record needle sliding off the record" sound effect.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    You could install AD from server manager in server 2008 and up but not in server 2003 u got to go to run and type dcpromo.

I first learned about the dcpromo when I took on my first certification 2 years back.

I had to re-read the Technet article on promoting Server 2008R2 to a domain controller. Even in 2008 I still do DCPROMO. Force of habit, must be.
  • nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wondering, what was the position for?

How's the job hunt? I'm in NYC and I just landed something today, finally, after about 6 months of looking.
    The search has been going well. Ive gotten plenty of calls and emails back. Have done some phone interviews but since I only have 3 days looking, Im holding out before making commitments. Have held out 17.50, 18, and 20 an hour. Possibly might land 25-28/hr tomorrow.

I get called for alot of sys engineering positions but I have little clustering experience and have done only bare-metal installations.

All in all, search is going good. The positions I feel comfortable dont pay enough, and the ones i dont feel comfortable, want me and pay super well.

Ill keep everyone posted, tomorrow I speak with a gentlemen for a Sys Admin/Sys Engineer position in NJ. Wish me luck icon_twisted.gif
    Needs 100K
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The search has been going well. Ive gotten plenty of calls and emails back. Have done some phone interviews but since I only have 3 days looking, Im holding out before making commitments. Have held out 17.50, 18, and 20 an hour. Possibly might land 25-28/hr tomorrow.

I get called for alot of sys engineering positions but I have little clustering experience and have done only bare-metal installations.

All in all, search is going good. The positions I feel comfortable dont pay enough, and the ones i dont feel comfortable, want me and pay super well.

Ill keep everyone posted, tomorrow I speak with a gentlemen for a Sys Admin/Sys Engineer position in NJ. Wish me luck icon_twisted.gif

wait....$17.50 - $20 for a Sys Admin/Eng position???? thats super low for that type of position. hell, that even on the low end for entry-level helpdesk/desktop support....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    No, sorry for the mistake. Those are help desk jobs/ desktop support. The engineering positions are 35-50/hour
    Needs 100K