Opinions how I should proceed?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Thank you in advance

Any recommendation on a certification next?

I am scheduled to take the Microsoft Operational Framework V4 foundation next week, but after that I am unsure. I have my eye on a few framework certifications, but I think it's starting to get a little "weird". To many of the same similiar certs seems counter productive.

I am a tier 2 support center employee who deals with a lot of SAP. SAP training is expensive and the company won't pay for training of any kind or else that is what I would of gone for. We did just roll out Windows Enterprise 7 which is kind of neat. I don't really want to corner myself into helpdesk the rest of my life though.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know a lot of which direction you go is contigent on what you want to do. I would like to become a manager eventually, but we will see. Business Analyst or Process Analyst would be something I would be interested in.

So any suggestions? I've been with XP for along time and I have done some legacy server / system adminstations. I have some database/sql knowledge, but none really in the work environment. I've dealt with a lot of application support, Citrix, SAP, Crystal Reports, etc.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How was the MOF V4 exam? Do you see it as being a cert that will help you to advance?
    By looking at your ITIL and the MOF it seems that you have your eye on management of some kind and that may be the route you want. Do you see yourself as hands on tech or want to be more managerial interested in implementing and overseeing "best practices" in your IT environment?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Thank you in advance

Any recommendation on a certification next?

I am scheduled to take the Microsoft Operational Framework V4 foundation next week, but after that I am unsure. I have my eye on a few framework certifications, but I think it's starting to get a little "weird". To many of the same similiar certs seems counter productive.

I am a tier 2 support center employee who deals with a lot of SAP. SAP training is expensive and the company won't pay for training of any kind or else that is what I would of gone for. We did just roll out Windows Enterprise 7 which is kind of neat. I don't really want to corner myself into helpdesk the rest of my life though.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know a lot of which direction you go is contigent on what you want to do. I would like to become a manager eventually, but we will see. Business Analyst or Process Analyst would be something I would be interested in.

So any suggestions? I've been with XP for along time and I have done some legacy server / system adminstations. I have some database/sql knowledge, but none really in the work environment. I've dealt with a lot of application support, Citrix, SAP, Crystal Reports, etc.

I guess I don't need to tell you that SAP is where the money is. I thought SAP was web-based now, like Oracle/PeopleSoft. Or is it still client-based, and hence the reason you are involved with it?

One suggestion I have if you have a bachelor's already, is to get a Masters in Business Administration with an ERP speciality. Alot of schools (Rutgers being one of them) have classes on ERP/SAP with a Supply Chain focus. That is definitely something I might pursue waaaaaay down the line.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    How was the MOF V4 exam? Do you see it as being a cert that will help you to advance?
    By looking at your ITIL and the MOF it seems that you have your eye on management of some kind and that may be the route you want. Do you see yourself as hands on tech or want to be more managerial interested in implementing and overseeing "best practices" in your IT environment?

I haven't taken it yet. All the service frameworks relate back in forth at one time or another. Some of the processes from ITIL over lap into MOF and with the ISO. I like reading about processes and those types of things. Gives you an idea of best practice and you can pick and choose which practice/process you want to implement in a certain service. You can follow ITIL framework for the over lifecycle or specific parts of the services and also bring in the quality side of ISO and the functional side of Microsoft Operation Framework. I've learned a lot about frameworks and processes thats for sure LOL

Functional support would be fine to be honest.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I guess I don't need to tell you that SAP is where the money is. I thought SAP was web-based now, like Oracle/PeopleSoft. Or is it still client-based, and hence the reason you are involved with it?

One suggestion I have if you have a bachelor's already, is to get a Masters in Business Administration with an ERP speciality. Alot of schools (Rutgers being one of them) have classes on ERP/SAP with a Supply Chain focus. That is definitely something I might pursue waaaaaay down the line.

The client is C++. However there are web based modules that you can interface into the ERP. We have a CRM module that is web based.

You know if I had my dream I would go into supply chain management. With 2 kids both young and a fiancee going through nursing school, (less than a year woohoo). She also works a 36 hour work week so that really puts a damper on what I can and cannot do. I have these recruiters hit me up for jobs all the time, but I just don't feel like I have enough exposure to SAP to get these gigs. Anyway thanks for the reply it made me feel good.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    The client is C++. However there are web based modules that you can interface into the ERP. We have a CRM module that is web based.

You know if I had my dream I would go into supply chain management. With 2 kids both young and a fiancee going through nursing school, (less than a year woohoo). She also works a 36 hour work week so that really puts a damper on what I can and cannot do. I have these recruiters hit me up for jobs all the time, but I just don't feel like I have enough exposure to SAP to get these gigs. Anyway thanks for the reply it made me feel good.

I can only sympathize with your situation. Many of us have family lives outside our career lives and it's really tough to find a balance. The only thing I can advise which I'm sure you're doing is to try to make time in between to focus on "getting in" the ERP realm. SAP is still number one in the market and the money is in the support of the backend/development. The functional aspect is good, but combined that with technical is 100 times better. I don't see ERPs going anywhere, even if they do become part of the cloud, you will still need administrators to support it, as well as secure the data.

What you may need to do to, as a practical matter, is maybe find something in a junior admin role with an ERP. Many companies are starting to do that so that they can do away with paying people high salaries. Just a thought.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I can only sympathize with your situation. Many of us have family lives outside our career lives and it's really tough to find a balance. The only thing I can advise which I'm sure you're doing is to try to make time in between to focus on "getting in" the ERP realm. SAP is still number one in the market and the money is in the support of the backend/development. The functional aspect is good, but combined that with technical is 100 times better. I don't see ERPs going anywhere, even if they do become part of the cloud, you will still need administrators to support it, as well as secure the data.

What you may need to do to, as a practical matter, is maybe find something in a junior admin role with an ERP. Many companies are starting to do that so that they can do away with paying people high salaries. Just a thought.

I took on a project behind the scenes at my company with an individual business unit. They have a very well developed access database and they asked me / I volunteered :) to create some reports off the tables, forms, and queries already created. From what I understand when a company goes through a roll out they use Access and Excel to "massage" the data before inputting into the ERP database. I figured getting more skills with Access and Excel would help so I took on the project. Another thing I did was get my hands on the whole Cash to Order process and study it diligently. It's at a very high level, so I am not seeing many screen/transaction codes, but I am learning the industries process. Made To Order, Stock Transfer Order, PGI'd goods etc. So I am hoping there will be a functional opening and my skillsets will mirror what they are looking for at that time.

Again thanks for the discussion you been very encouraging.
  • garydrummgarydrumm Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If ITSM is where you want to be:

ISO/IEC 20000
    ISO/IEC 27000
    CMMI
    CISA
    CGEIT

These will get you some very good nods from consulting companies. I have the ITIL v3 Foundation now and I'm always getting pinged for some opportunity.
    Gary Drumm
    Current Certifications:
    PMP, ITIL, CIW, A+, P+, N+

Currently Preparing For:
    Sec+, CCNA, ISO 20000 (Whew!)

Current Undergraduate Candidate:
    WGU - 2011
    B.S Information Technology: Network Design and Management

My Latest Project:
    http://www.itiluniversity.com

Infinigen Technology Solutions
    IT Service Management and Project Management Services
    http://www.garydrumm.com
    garydrumm wrote: »
    If ITSM is where you want to be:

ISO/IEC 20000
    ISO/IEC 27000
    CMMI
    CISA
    CGEIT

These will get you some very good nods from consulting companies. I have the ITIL v3 Foundation now and I'm always getting pinged for some opportunity.

What about Six Sigma. I am looking into Alliance University and looking at getting a sallie mae loan for the Green Belt certification.

I currently am ISO/IEC 20000, and ITIL certified. Both are at the foundations level though.