whats next after Desktop Engineer?

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
If i want to start specializing in some technology, what is a good step after desktop support? Just wondering what many of you have looked for after a desktop sup job, did you move to a Jr-Mid level sys admin position, or something different.
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    After that you have to figure out if you want to go one of a few directions. Network, Systems, Security, Management. I'm sure there are more but these are the 'major' ones. Most people go ---> desktop ---> systems ---> network/security/management

From where you are pref go to either a jr sys admin or jr network admin position then diversify further from there. The reason most people go sys admin before the others is it shows you a little bit of everything and if you want to keep doing sys admin stuff that's fine too, you just don't make as much money in the end.

What do you like about the aspects of desktop support? Have you played around with security or a router before?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only did desktop support for a few months. Since I did a lot of volunteering to assist the sys admins I moved into that very quickly. From there it depends on where you work.