Separate networks attached to one switch port?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
We recently did a big network change over at our location that involved a change of our addressing scheme and VLAN's, which was all much needed. We are still not all the way done, as some static IP Addresses exist which can not be changed, in this case a printer. Those still act on the old vlan.

I have a situation as follows:
                                      ____________>Static IP Printer
fa0/1 -> Unmanaged switch |
                                       ____________>DHCP Client

fa0/1 is set to the old vlan for the static IP printer, however the clients can not pull IP addresses from this vlan. As a temporary fix, I have assigned them static IP addresses. What I want is the clients to pull from the new vlan, and the printer to function from the old off of the same switchport.

I have tried the following:

Setting the switchport to trunk, and having the printer on the native vlan, and having both vlans as allowed vlans. Result: Can ping printer, but still no connectivity from the clients.

Setting the switchport to trunk, and having the clients on the native vlan, and having both vlans as allowed vlans. Result: clients pull DHCP, but can not ping printer.

Presently I have them with static IP addresses as a workaround, but it ticks me off since we are trying to clean up our network, not clutter it more with 'exceptions'.

Any way I can make this work as intended, or am I SOL until we change all the static IP addresses around the network?
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Leave them in the same VLAN and configure a secondary IP address on the SVI for the printer.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Leave them in the same VLAN and configure a secondary IP address on the SVI for the printer.

+1 to this idea.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »

Oh dang, I never thought of secondary IP Addresses. I think I have to go through change control to do that icon_neutral.gif oh well. Thanks, that will probably work!

I never experimented with secondary addresses, I guess I see the use for them now. I'll have to look up their actual purpose.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.