291 without 290

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just curious if anyone has or heard of anyone doing an MCP on 291 instead of 290 for their first WinSer 2k3 exam.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone has or heard of anyone doing an MCP on 291 instead of 290 for their first WinSer 2k3 exam.

For which certification? MCSA and MCSE requre both of them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    For which certification? MCSA and MCSE requre both of them.

You again? lol icon_wink.gif

Just for a MCP. Not a MCSA/E. I mean if someone just wanted a windows cert and did 290 so they could put MS on their resume.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think people generally work up on test numbers. I don't think there would be any problem doing the 291 before the 290 but I don't really see any advantage to it either. I don't remember a ton of overlap between them but it all runs together for me now.

Edit: If you're just doing it for the MCP I would probably do 290. Most of the RRAS stuff on the 291 probably wouldn't be used in production but most of the stuff on the 290 seems useful and common in the environments I've seen.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    Well there is a lot of DNS and networking stuff that I think would be useful to me, especially with up coming task of cleaning up DNS and such. I am just curious.
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I did the 291 before the 290 so I could take advantage of the second shot. The subject material is more difficult and the content is different from the 290. For sake of the MCP, I doubt they would care which test you took unless you want to show that you understand a certain type of technology.
    2nd shot for students has been extended so if I need that, I can use it. But I am not so concerned with "someone" caring about my MCP, I am more concerned about me caring about it lol. My current job doesn't care to much about certs and I don't think I am looking for a new gig in the next 6-8 months so this would be for me.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With your CCNA and Net+ you have a good foundation to start with the 291 exam although the idea of using a Windows server was a router will probably blow your mind.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    With your CCNA and Net+ you have a good foundation to start with the 291 exam although the idea of using a Windows server was a router will probably blow your mind.

Lol, i've looked over RRAS briefly but I still don't understand why it would ever be used.
    If all you are after is MCP, why not do the 70-271 or 70-272. As far as MCP tests go I have heard that those would be the easiest.
    If all you are after is MCP, why not do the 70-271 or 70-272. As far as MCP tests go I have heard that those would be the easiest.

Because I don't want something easy, I'd like the challenge.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He's probably looking to gain a little knowledge about things he'll be doing at work. RRAS may not be one of those things but the rest of what the 291 cover he seems to need to know.
    Edit: the 291 will be a challenge.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    He's probably looking to gain a little knowledge about things he'll be doing at work. RRAS may not be one of those things but the rest of what the 291 cover he seems to need to know.
    Edit: the 291 will be a challenge.

You hit it right on the head. Is 291 really that bad?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its nickname was (might still be) the beast. It inherited it from the 216 exam which is the windows 2000 version.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Is 291 really that bad?

No.

If you are looking for knowledge of server, the 291 will give you more of what you want. The 290 is going to be a lot of performance scanning and an overview of server. The 291 is going to get DNS and DHCP. If I had to pick the most important topic involved with server, I would have to say it is DNS. Its a little complex so there are a lot of people that don't understand it (which makes those that do in demand) and it is essential for a network.
    No.

If you are looking for knowledge of server, the 291 will give you more of what you want. The 290 is going to be a lot of performance scanning and an overview of server. The 291 is going to get DNS and DHCP. If I had to pick the most important topic involved with server, I would have to say it is DNS. Its a little complex so there are a lot of people that don't understand it (which makes those that do in demand) and it is essential for a network.

I think you understand exactly where I am coming from. I just got the Ok from the boss so I will be doing that after S+, maybe during or after LPIC-1.
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did 291 before 290. I personally thought 291 was easier, but I enjoy networking topics. When I took 290, the questions on disk management kicked my butt.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
    I started reading for both a while ago and I thought the 291 was going to be easier. That's when I thought I was going to go for the MCSA. I really shouldn't but I might end up doing it. I told my wife not to let me go any further than a MCP because if I go for the MCSA I will probably end up going for the MCSE and MCITP:EA which would take up my whole year next year and I need to do my CCNP lol.
    I told my wife not to let me go any further than a MCP because if I go for the MCSA I will probably end up going for the MCSE and MCITP:EA which would take up my whole year next year and I need to do my CCNP lol.

I started with the intention of just getting the MCSA. Since I have decided I want that E. I don't expect to go for MCITP, at least not yet. I'll need some time off and I just don't feel a huge rush to get into MCITP. It won't be going anywhere for awhile, and a lot of companies aren't using it yet. MCSE should give you all the skills you need. Another factor in my decision, is that I want to get some other stuff in.

As for taking up a year, maybe. I started studying heavily for the 270 (my first step in the series) in late March or early April. I completed the MCSA in early July. (So about 4 months or so).

Right now I'm taking a short break to get Security+ in, but then I will start back in on the MCSE. 3 more tests to go, so I would figure another 3-4 months.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    The 291 is certainly a "challenge" if that's what you are after.

I found the 290 easier and had topics I could relate to.

Best of luck, It took me months to get my head around the 291 topics.
    I agree that 290 was easier. But the 291 was far more interesting.
    From what I can tell, 291 would give me more AD knowledge as well.

Edit: I take this back. I think I was thinking of 293 or something. This test is pure networking.
    From what I can tell, 291 would give me more AD knowledge as well.

Not really. Very little AD in either exam. 294 is for AD.
    Not really. Very little AD in either exam. 294 is for AD.

I've got material for 290, 291, 293, 294, 270, and 297 so I might just read it all.
    I've got material for 290, 291, 293, 294, 270, and 297 so I might just read it all.

If you're going to read it all, why not take all of the tests as well and get the MCSE?
    If you're going to read it all, why not take all of the tests as well and get the MCSE?

Damn....logic.....icon_lol.gif

I am probably not going to get to cert level on all of the topics for the MCSE. Honestly I really just need to know networking, AD, GPOs and I will be good.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Because I don't want something easy, I'd like the challenge.

CCIE: Voice would be a perfect fit for you. icon_wink.gif
    tearofs wrote: »
    CCIE: Voice would be a perfect fit for you. icon_wink.gif

I was thinking about CCIE:S for the longest. Now I'm just thinking about prolevels. There is so much to know about networking that cisco can't/won't teach you.