GNS3 rant

motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
What a piece of SH!T this app is. I tried a while back to use it on a laptop with dual core proc and 2 GB of RAM and couldn't even get one router going..Crash...Crash...Crash! Now I'm trying again to get JUST ONE ROUTER up and running on my desktop here at work with 3.5GB of RAM and still the same thing. I have read and followed the tutorial on the GNS3 site and still I can't get it going. When I try to open a console session it just sits....sits....<press enter>...<press enter>.....sits...sits....CRASH! I really would like to learn how to use this so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the rant.

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    motherwolf wrote: »
    What a piece of SH!T this app is. I tried a while back to use it on a laptop with dual core proc and 2 GB of RAM and couldn't even get one router going..Crash...Crash...Crash! Now I'm trying again to get JUST ONE ROUTER up and running on my desktop here at work with 3.5GB of RAM and still the same thing. I have read and followed the tutorial on the GNS3 site and still I can't get it going. When I try to open a console session it just sits....sits....<press enter>...<press enter>.....sits...sits....CRASH! I really would like to learn how to use this so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the rant.

... right click on the routers and set the "Idle PC" value... I usually have to set 2 routers and my quad core drops to 1%
    CCNP :study:
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm pretty sure its just you man. I know lots of people that run it quite easily on much less hardware, myself included. I'd start here.

Documentation | GNS3
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    agreed with the others. if the idlepc value doesnt help maybe try a different image.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I found GNS3 very problematic on Vista/7. XP and Ubunutu 10.04 x32 run pretty good. But in all environments I found that if you close out of your terminal window you need to rename the router in order to reconnect.

Lastly, try different IOS platforms. I found the 2621xm to work the best. Make sure to select "2621xm" not "2621" it will try and change it to 2621 on you.
    -Daniel
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    My racked routers and switches don't lag the pc out at all....

Sorry... couldn't resist the dig ;)
    Kam.
  • motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    I'm pretty sure its just you man. I know lots of people that run it quite easily on much less hardware, myself included. I'd start here.

Documentation | GNS3

And I'm pretty sure if you read my post carefully you would have read that I went through the tutorial on the site....but thanks anyway for the link.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I'm pretty sure that since .71 of GNS3 the idle PC values are automatically assigned.

GNS3 is buggy and has some problems, but the good completely out weighs the bad.

I couldn't tell you if it works better on linux or windows since I don't own a computer that runs windows.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    And I'm pretty sure if you read my post carefully you would have read that I went through the tutorial on the site....but thanks anyway for the link.

Not to be a jerk, but you obviously didn't go through it well enough if one router is killing multiple machines for you. You aren't setting something up correctly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What a piece of SH!T this app is.

You should demand a refund.
  • kidfrykidfry Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I found GNS3 very problematic on Vista/7. XP and Ubunutu 10.04 x32 run pretty good. But in all environments I found that if you close out of your terminal window you need to rename the router in order to reconnect.

Lastly, try different IOS platforms. I found the 2621xm to work the best. Make sure to select "2621xm" not "2621" it will try and change it to 2621 on you.

I couldn't agree more w/the comment above! I had nothing but troubles trying to get GNS3 working with my 64bit version of Win7/Vista. Dynamips would incessantly crash on me, forcing my entire topology to to go waste.

I built out an old Dell 745 (Pentium D 3.4Ghz | 2GB 667Mhz RAM) and loaded Ubuntu 10.04 on it. I then installed GNS3 from the repositories and had absolutely no problems at all. In my experience, it was like using a completely different app - it simply worked.

About a month or so ago I decided to build GNS3 from source using FC13 - my experience of using GNS3 on Fedora has been better than that of using it on Windows, however, I still feel as though GNS3 works the best under the Ubuntu distro. YMMV of course!

If you have an extra computer laying around, or, if you want to build out Ubuntu as a virtual instance, (VMWare Player is a free download) give GNS3 a second chance using Linux...

Good luck w/your Cisco studies - icon_cool.gif
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure that since .71 of GNS3 the idle PC values are automatically assigned.

GNS3 is buggy and has some problems, but the good completely out weighs the bad.

I couldn't tell you if it works better on linux or windows since I don't own a computer that runs windows.

Linux absolutely. With windows my dual core athlon (2G ram) could barely handle 4-5 routers without being ~4G into swap and running really laggy. I managed a 13-router topology under linux and was only 1-2G into swap. Of course my machine ground to a halt for around 5 minutes when I turned 'on' all 13 at once but that's a whole different story.

Idle-PC values seem tricky, as my experience has been that some run ok for a while but gradually creep up to unacceptable levels; if you spend enough time finding a good one though it works great.

Although the OP is mentioning it actually crashing, which it's never done for me. I've had it report Dynamips crashes; typically when I was using 2600-series routers, so I'm thinking it might just be that annoying case where some programs just don't work with some hardware.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Implement IdlePC into your configuration, it is worth the 30 seconds. The issues will go away after the router fully loads. My CPU with 4+ routers turning on at once will hit 100% for a while, but drops down after they finish decompressing the IOS.

If using windows 7, run in compatibility mode for XP and as administrator, that has fixed any lingering issues I have had.

Cable before you turn anything on, and don't expect to be able to cable after.

Be patient, it is free software that was given to you. If it gives you issues and it is not worth the effort, consider investing your money into real equipment. It depends on how much you consider your time worth 'fixing' and 'putting up with' GNS3.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What a piece of SH!T this app is.
    Based on the little ACTUAL information you've provided about the problem you're having, I'll take a WILD GUESS that you're using a 2600 image -- and you didn't uncompress it.

Another possibility is you have a corrupt image -- you've tried more than one, right? And of course, a Layer 8 issue is still a good possibility.

Did you try just using the Dynagen front end to Dynamips (and changing one of the sample files to point at the correct location for one of your supported IOS images) to see if you get that to work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Layer 8 issue, I'm going to have to put that one in my books mike!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Based on the little ACTUAL information you've provided about the problem you're having, I'll take a WILD GUESS that you're using a 2600 image -- and you didn't uncompress it.

Another possibility is you have a corrupt image -- you've tried more than one, right? And of course, a Layer 8 issue is still a good possibility.

Did you try just using the Dynagen front end to Dynamips (and changing one of the sample files to point at the correct location for one of your supported IOS images) to see if you get that to work.

Were you rolling your eyes as you typed "WILD GUESS"? Would you like another sarcastic stab at it? It's a 1700 image.

And layer 8 is genius, let the hilarity continue!

For everyone else that offered up some helpful insights, thanks!
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I seem to have the best luck with a 3640 or 3725 image. I copied the image from my 2650xm and it gives me intermittent problems. Sometimes it fails to load an occasionally it crashes GNS3. I just stopped trying.

I got my ASA image to boot but I have some problems to sort out. Can't save the running config to flash and also can't seem to get the ASA to establish a connection with a router.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I second the recommendation to use 3600/3700 routers. This is all I use. the 3600 is a little lighter so unless you need the features of the 3700 stick with the 3600.

If you want to dip your toes into linux and get something running fast, but want something a little lighter weight than ubuntu go with xubuntu. It's the same except it uses XFCE instead of Gnome.

If you're really looking for efficiency over user friendly go with linux without a desktop environment. I'd suggest centos or debian.

If your pockets are deep look at the 3640 on ebay. They're pretty cheap and they support almost everything.
    Were you rolling your eyes as you typed "WILD GUESS"?
    No -- I was wondering about your configuration. GNS3 might be a memory hog, but it is pretty simple to setup.
    Would you like another sarcastic stab at it?
    No -- but I'm going to change my opinion of GNS3. With all the tutorials and videos out there I had thought setting up GNS3 was idiot proof. icon_rolleyes.gif Not any more.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    lol at this thread

I had problems with GNS3 too but you can't argue with the price. I'm sure I could have got it to work with some basic troubleshooting but I just felt real hardware was the way to go.

If this is to practice for your CCNA, maybe give Packet Tracer a go?
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    No -- I was wondering about your configuration. GNS3 might be a memory hog, but it is pretty simple to setup.

No -- but I'm going to change my opinion of GNS3. With all the tutorials and videos out there I had thought setting up GNS3 was idiot proof. icon_rolleyes.gif Not any more.

quote of the century.....
    Thanks for the chuckle.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I can't say much about GNS3, but I use Dynagen/Dynamips quite a bit. I'm going to go with user error here.

Layer 8 and now idiot proof? Mike, your wit is impeccable! It's no wonder you're the Cisco Moderator. I see now that when you're not failing the IE lab you're perfecting your stand up routine. Smart move, never put all your eggs in one basket, ya know?
    It's no wonder you're the Cisco Moderator. I see now that when you're not failing the IE lab you're perfecting your stand up routine. Smart move, never put all your eggs in one basket, ya know?
    With the current state of the economy and 10,000 Stand Up Comedians out of work I'm not planning to quit my day job any time soon -- so I practice my routines when I can.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have nothing to add to this thread other than like many here after a little playing around I have GNS3 up and running fine (with a minor hicup now and then, but what can you expect from free software)

and Layer 8..... some one introduced me to that a few years back, and I have found ever since that it is best to rule out this layer before moving on to any others. It saves a lot of time in the long run.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you actually post some information about what you're doing with GNS3 and what happens apart from it "just sits....sits....<press enter>...<press enter>.....sits...sits....CRASH" then people may be able to give you suggestions. If a user just comes up to you and starts ranting about software you know that works but doesn't for them and doesn't say why then you're not going to be particularly accomodating to them.

Try the Dynamips forum and the GNS3 forum first anyway.

What GNS3 version? What version of Dynamips does that come with? Did you read the GNS3 and Dynamips FAQs? Checked the GNS3 and Dynamips forums?
    What IOS version? What router is it for? What feature set? What is the filename and file size? You sure its a good file and not corrupt? How did you configure the virtual router?
    What network are you trying to construct in GNS3? Did you set the idlepc values?
  • joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a Layer 8 issue is still a good possibility.QUOTE]

Absolutly loved that one! ...Sheesh, have I ever caused myself a number of those. icon_redface.gif