Options

Advice: Test Prep and Exam

PaulIopPaulIop Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the Security+ exam soon. I have Darrill's book and used two different online practice exams. One from TestPrep (?) and one from CompTia/MeasureUp.

I took the book's intro-exam twice, scoring an 88% the second time. I took the final exam once and scored a 94%. I feel that I understand the book well. I have reread some sections, such as Cryptography.

The last time I took the TestPrep exam, I believe I scored in the mid-eighties. This exam was difficult because it used terms I did not see in the book, such as bastion host and screened host. Additionally, this exam makes anomaly and behavior-based IDS to be different terms, while I thought they were the same and you could interchange names.

The CompTia practice exam is difficult to judge. It does not provide answers and only says correct answers by section. I feel the wording of some questions is unclear. The last time I took the exam, I scored in the low-eighties.

How do the practice exams from the book, TestPrep, and CompTia/MeasureUp compare to the real exam. Am I underprepared? I cannot tell because I am getting different feedback from different exams.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you are prepared. Only one real way to find out though... :p
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While I believe it is possible to pass the exam with only Darril's book, I would not recommend it. Review the Technotes and do some research on any additional test areas you are not comfortable with.

The CompTIA practice exam is much more difficult than the actual exam, so if you're doing 80% or above on it, you're ready.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    PaulIop wrote: »
    The last time I took the TestPrep exam, I believe I scored in the mid-eighties. This exam was difficult because it used terms I did not see in the book, such as bastion host and screened host. Additionally, this exam makes anomaly and behavior-based IDS to be different terms, while I thought they were the same and you could interchange names.

First, welcome.

Second, stop using practice exams. If you 'think' you need to use them, then you should use it to assess you abilities PRIOR to study and then just one time just prior to your exam to note your improvement and any possible areas of weakness you want to review a bit more throughly.

Third, use the objectives. Particularly with CompTIA exams, the objectives are your guide. If you 'know' the material on the objectives and you have the recommended level of experience (usually 500 hours - 2 years depending on the exam) then you will probably find yourself ready.

Lastly, DO NOT ask the members specifics about the exam or how the exam compares to 'x'. They cannot (and you'll find WILL NOT) answer this for you and once you take your first exam, you'll see this too (unless you fail to read your NDA).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?