Ever applied for a job that you were not qualified for and got hired?

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271

Yep, I have done it 2x. One was for a support engineer doing IP telephony when I had just seen a VOIP phone a few weeks prior. Submitted my resume bought the VOIP fundementals book off amazon and got the job.

The other was was for a defense contractor. They wanted to keep the seat on the contract I had the clearance. Win/Win for everybody except the customericon_thumright.gif.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job and my last major IT job before it. My current job wanted 3-5 years of security, linux, cisco, and application security as well as policy building. The last major one wanted the CCNA (this was before I had the CCNA). Just apply, you will either get a yes or a no.

If you only go in a slow gradual path like that, it will take you much longer to reach your goal. If you shoot like a rocket, even if your path is a bit rough, you can get to your goal much fast---IF you can manage it. I've been doing this for 3 years or so and I have been able to land admin responsibilities. Most people that contact me on linked in are wanting me to do helpdesk type work (so much so that I updated my linked in to state that I was not interested in helpdesk work and I would like to be contacted about admin/engineer positions, they got the message).
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you always apply for jobs you are completely qualified for, you wouldn't be going anywhere fast.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I got a job as the only techie(aside from the director), responsible for everything from servers and network to desktop support, for a 300 system school, with three years desktop support experience. I consider that job to be where I learned the absolute most I have ever learned in IT, and it was only for six months.

I am a firm believer that on-the-job learning trumps all other learning(degree, cert self-study) by a wide margin. I make it a habit to apply for jobs I'm not 100% qualified for. If I were 100% qualified, I probably wouldn't stay long, due to boredom. My usual criteria is probably around 70%. Enough that I'm not a mistake for the company, and enough that I have plenty to learn.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does it count if I was offered a job that I wasn't even close to qualified for without even asking?
    :study:
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    Does it count if I was offered a job that I wasn't even close to qualified for without even asking?

LOL, Nice... icon_thumright.gif