Scheduled test, getting nervous

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
I scheduled my test for the 28th of July. I was on a high from passing the 291 on the 23rd of June and booked the last available day in July at my local testing center. I may have been a little hasty because I'm way behind my expected schedule with studying. I'm reading a book called the Windows Server 2003 Security bible for help with PKI and securing DNS, watching the CBT nuggets, and using the MCSE in a nutshell book. I still feel way behind.

I'm going to start doing labbing in ESXi soon. Are there any good (free and legal would be awesome) resources out there for labs? I followed along with the nuggets last time and it seemed okay but I'm not sure.

Edit: I just looked at a calendar and realized I had 3 weeks. I originally thought I only had 2 left. That eases my stress a little bit.
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in the same boat, except for the 291, and the test is scheduled for Saturday. I expected that this stuff would be clicking a lot better by now, the last 2 weeks zoomed by and I don't feel like I have gotten much further. The transcenders are all across the board. I take questions 10 at a time, and I am getting scores between 20 and 80 percent. What I gather from this, is that there is a lot of stuff I know, but also some areas that I don't, so I need to really brush up on those areas.

I was up until nearly 3 last night rewatching cbt nuggets. I have a similar plan for tonight, and then tomorrow night I can get some rest. Good luck to both of us.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did my 291 notes come through better the second time? I can make a PDF for them if not.

I'm once again using the nuggets as my primary study tool and filling it in with the other books. I think I'll probably be okay by the 28th, I just had a minor heart attack over the deadline when I thought it was closer than it is. I'm having trouble with wrapping my head around PKI and the various security objects which I assume are huge parts of this test.
    I only glanced at them. Tomorrow I will go through the 20 pages or so of notes that I took (I hope that I can find them all) from my books and cbt. Then I'll go down yours as well. Hopefully in 24 hours I'm feeling in a better position, but I kind of doubt it, this just creeped up too quick.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Devil, have you used Wedge's notes for the 291? He did a few updates and they were good to go. I used them, especailly right before the test to cram.

293 is THE beast, so be prepared, that's for sure. Have you been labbing? If not, I highly suggest you do. the PKI/templates/GPO portions are hard to grasp unless you can actually see how they get distributed on each system. Just my 2 cents.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    Yeah I have an ESXi host at home running a few W2K3 servers and an XP client. I haven't dug into them yet. I also did the technet virtual lab for security templates and gpo. I don't have the MSPress book so I don't really have a good step by step lab manual. I may end up getting it though. Like I said I may go through the nuggets and use them as a lab guide if I have to.
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question:

Why are people taking Server 2003 Exams still when Server 2008 is the current technology?

I'm not knocking anyone but I'm curious. Server 2008 has all the same tech as 2003 and much more. The only reason I would think someone might be taking a 2003 exam anymore would be they are very close to completing an existing 2003 MCSE track.

What am I missing here?
    Your missing that job requirements still ask for MCSE's and many HR folks, and even some IT folks don't know what an MCITP is. MCSE is still the cadilac of server admin, and likely will be for some time.

Everyone has their own opinions and their own strategy too. This is mine.
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess I can see that point but it seems a little silly to me that HR Departments are not aware that Microsoft released a new server platform over 2 years ago.
    If my work was paying for all my training and certification and required it to be 2003 then sure, but before I agreed to that I would educate them on Server 2008 and ask them to pay for that Certification instead.

I wonder if putting "Windows Server 2008" on the Resume might help HR Departments understand better. What is the effort it takes to Google "Microsoft MCITP" or "Server 2008"
    I think for me it has to do with which technology is out there. My current employer uses 2003 only and a few of the people I've consulted for are either using just 2003 or have some 2000 thrown in. Knowing what is out there and people are using really matters to me. I will eventually upgrade but I think MCSE will help me both from an HR standpoint and from knowing what people are actually using.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    HR reps/recruiters use searches to filter candidates, so as some have pointed out, they only know the keywords, not always what is current or even what it takes to pass.

In my case, attending WGU and finishing the MCSE 2k3 will fulfill the MCITP requisites ( Dec. 31st is the deadline per their website), and most companies will be suing 2k3 for a long time to come. 2k3 will no doubt help prepare you for the MCITP tests and cuts down the required tests to get MCITP.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    Where I work we still have many windows 2000 servers running as file servers and such. I believe one of our domains still uses them as DC's, but our primary domain is all 2003.
    I took a study test from measureup and got 32%. That's the lowest first attempt I've ever had. While the measureup tests aren't extremely close to the exam in format they are very good for reminding me of multiple topics. They tend to be very wordy and present more than one topic per prompt. When studying I don't really mind the red herrings.

The only thing I don't like about them is there are a ton of questions that ask you to move different protocols or tasks to perform from one column into a second column based on which OS they are compatible with or in order how you would accomplish a task. I never seem to be able to get those right, though it really helps me with potential sims and answers a bunch of low hanging fruit in one question.

To add to the pressure my wife has approved the purchase of an iPad if I happen to pass this test on the first try. I don't know if I'm going to take the opportunity but just knowing I have free reign to do so makes me really want to pass =p
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    To add to the pressure my wife has approved the purchase of an iPad if I happen to pass this test on the first try. I don't know if I'm going to take the opportunity but just knowing I have free reign to do so makes me really want to pass =p

You'd better pass! Get studying!

Tell her I want one, too.

EDIT: I'll be in Corbin on the weekend. Can I swing by and pick mine up? icon_wink.gif
    You'd better pass! Get studying!

Tell her I want one, too.

EDIT: I'll be in Corbin on the weekend. Can I swing by and pick mine up? icon_wink.gif

heh, good luck. It has taken a lot of negotiation and proving my case to get a "P.O." approved for just one. Two would be an up hill battle.

What would bring you to Corbin?
    I took a study test from measureup and got 32%. That's the lowest first attempt I've ever had. While the measureup tests aren't extremely close to the exam in format they are very good for reminding me of multiple topics. They tend to be very wordy and present more than one topic per prompt. When studying I don't really mind the red herrings.

I just wrote about my 290 experience the night before my test in a different post.

For the 291, I didn't start transcenders until about a week before my test. I practice 10 questions at a time, so that when I review, the question is still in my head.

My first transcender test, 20%. The second, 40%. I think my first couple attempts just happened to be questions that I didn't know. My score crept up quickly, and my first full test was 78% or so.

Stick with it and keep working. You still have plenty of time.
    I am seriously doubting my preparations for this test. I had a pretty rough week last week and this weekend ended up practically bed ridden after a trip to the urgent treatment clinic. I was distracted at best when trying to study.

I'm going to rewatch the CBT nugget on CAs and routing. I've actually broken over and read those sections in the MSPress book. I think I have a decent handle on IPSec and the DNS/DHCP stuff that I've seen on the measureups.

My wife actually took me to the Apple store on opening day and bought me an iPad to help me study. It works amazing for the PDF ebooks. That act will probably be what saves me since I've been putting it to work hard.
    I am seriously doubting my preparations for this test. I had a pretty rough week last week and this weekend ended up practically bed ridden after a trip to the urgent treatment clinic. I was distracted at best when trying to study.

Just stay calm. Failing a test isn't a big deal. Prepare what you can, and go in knowing that you did your best. The worst case scenario is that you get a free peak at the test and get to come back and take it again. I would rather keep the extra $125, as I'm sure you would too. But my MCSA costed me about $1500. Would $1625 or even $1750 have killed me? Probably not. Once you have your MCSE and get a job with it, you will make up that $125 in 2 days of work.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sure if you've prepared up until now you'll be ok. I do best when I just do light review the whole week before the test (with some labbing) and no heavy cramming. As devilbane said the worse thing that could happen is that it costs you an extra $125 to retake it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Well right now the worst that could happen is my ridiculous amount of coughing could cause other people testing with me to strangle me with their shoe laces. It's pretty bad, I just hope that nobody else scheduled early =p

I realize $125 isn't the end of the world, I just put too much stress on myself the week of a test that it's not funny. When I get in there I get hyper focused and usually turn out alright.
    I somehow managed to pass. Last night was probably the worst evening before a test I've had. Within 5 minutes two of my clients called me in a panic because their computers weren't working. It took 15 minutes each to talk them down and tell them either what to do or schedule some time. Sure 30 minutes isn't a ton of time but it was very distracting and I thought about their problems much more than I should have.

My wife bought my congratulatory iPad already and I get to play with it tonight. After I recover my client's computer from a supposed data loss. Maybe I can play with it tomorrow icon_sad.gif
    Congrats! I told you that you had nothing to worry about.

My wife bought my congratulatory iPad already and I get to play with it tonight. After I recover my client's computer from a supposed data loss. Maybe I can play with it tomorrow icon_sad.gif
    Will she buy me one too if I pass my Security+ exam in 2 weeksicon_confused.gif:
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Will she buy me one too if I pass my Security+ exam in 2 weeksicon_confused.gif:

Sure! Just send me 550 dollars to cover shipping and we'll buy you one from the new apple store that just opened.
    Sure! Just send me 550 dollars to cover shipping and we'll buy you one from the new apple store that just opened.

How about I just prepay shipping and send you the label?
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    I somehow managed to pass. Last night was probably the worst evening before a test I've had. Within 5 minutes two of my clients called me in a panic because their computers weren't working. It took 15 minutes each to talk them down and tell them either what to do or schedule some time. Sure 30 minutes isn't a ton of time but it was very distracting and I thought about their problems much more than I should have.

Congratz! I know how you feel. I dedicated an entire week to nothing but study study study but I kept getting interrupted by people. But that's good you got through it. It's definitely a big load off your shoulders now. So what now, onto 294?

And Devilsbane you need to hurry and get Security+ over and get back to your MCSE track :).

I'm thinking of taking Network+ in about 2 weeks. I took a few of the practice exams available and I been topping the scores through the roof. So I don't have any big fears of this exam. After that I'll start working on 294 and so on. And when I my MCSE is done (which I hope to have done by November) I want to get Security+ knocked out before the year is over. If everything goes as planned I should have almost 2 months for this.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
    Technito wrote: »
    And Devilsbane you need to hurry and get Security+ over and get back to your MCSE track :).

Do I have to come back??? I'm very much enjoying the ease of CompTIA questions. I got my 70-298 book in the email. It's 700 pages! Not looking forward to reading that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do I have to come back??? I'm very much enjoying the ease of CompTIA questions. I got my 70-298 book in the email. It's 700 pages! Not looking forward to reading that one.

That's how I felt after I finished the S+ and got into the 290 material. My head almost exploded by the amount of stuff that I was learning.
    I got my 70-298 book in the email. It's 700 pages!

Thats right, I have invented a new technology and I can receive physical objects through email. Aren't you jealous?

Lol, yeah I know what you mean. It's pure discipline reading and labbing all this material. But as we know, it will pay off. And yeah that's why I'm gonna take a short break before starting 294 and do Network+ mean while. You gotta love CompTIA with the ease of the one liner questions :p They're fun and will definitely give me a break from all the hours I put into 293 :)
    You all are wimps with your Comptia break. Force through the MCSE in 6 months and end up bitter and resentful of Microsoft like I am doing!
    You all are wimps with your Comptia break. Force through the MCSE in 6 months and end up bitter and resentful of Microsoft like I am doing!

I actually will probably be back to in about a week. I don't think I should need more than a week for Net+. So while you enjoy your week off from studying, I'll be getting Net+ done (Now who's the slacker :p). Then I'll be starting 294 the same time you are. But I'm only giving myself 3 weeks for this exam, knowing that I feel comfortable with the material. But after that we'll kinda go seperate ways because I have all the study material for 297, so it makes sense for me to go that route. I see you are doing 298. I hear most say 298 is easier, I really should be doing that one icon_study.gif