impasse: Microsoft or Cisco

Hello:

Im at an impasse im about done with the comptia basics (a+, net+, sec+) and after im done with those i can choose one of two ways microsoft mcitp or cisco ccna/ccnp ect

im not quite sure what route to go with or should i go with something else completely

what route is more desirable to companies for network admins

ive done job searches and both have about the same results
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    are you interested in systems admin or network admin jobs? you may dabble in both at first and see which one interests you more.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i really and flexable i can do routing or day to day domain administration
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i really and flexable i can do routing or day to day domain administration

Well maybe you could follow this path and decide afterward:

CCNA --> MCITP:SA

I plan on doing the CCNA and CCDA after I am finished with my Bachelor degree. I realize that I need to get a better handle on network infrastructure so I can see the, "Big Picture". Of course that is just me.
    Well maybe you could follow this path and decide afterward:

CCNA --> MCITP:SA

I plan on doing the CCNA and CCDA after I am finished with my Bachelor degree. I realize that I need to get a better handle on network infrastructure so I can see the, "Big Picture". Of course that is just me.

yea we go to the same school i was thinking i could take one cisco and one linux after i finish

but i didnt wanna go that route if the microsoft stuff isnt as popular as cisco
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yea we go to the same school i was thinking i could take one cisco and one linux after i finish

but i didnt wanna go that route if the microsoft stuff isnt as popular as cisco

I'm finding where I live it's a good idea to have experience with both.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's always good to have experience in both. I'm giong the route of both with my MCITP: SA in progress right now and then CCENT/CCNA in about a year. I figured it'd be a good idea to be versed at both, I keep hearing of the horrors of network and system admins blaming each other for corporate network problems. I guess those would be mostly resolved if the people in those positions had at least a basic knowledge of how the other side works, icon_razz.gif.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I have my CCNA and will test for Sec+ soon then MCITP:SA. The only reason I'm doing SA is because of lot of jobs near where I'm moving to want network people who can do AD as well.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Until you decide that you have a preference or figure out which may be in greater demand or provide greater opportunities in your area it's probably best not to put all your eggs in one basket. Do some Microsoft. Do some Linux. Do some Cisco.

Save the advanced Certification like the CCNP or MS Enterprise Admin or RedHat Engineer for once you've decided which you like the best or think will take your career in the direction you want.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    thanks for all the good info i think im gonna go with the microsoft mcitp then a vmware cert