Interview tomorrow!

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
Nothing like a head rush of things all at one time, had a new baby on Saturday and got an interview for an awesome contract job tomorrow morning at 11 AM.

The interview is for a local bank's (they're using a staffing company though) help desk team. I'm confident that I'll be able to land the job just based on the principal that I feel I'm knowledgable enough plus last Friday when I was contacted by the staffing angency to see if I was interested in the position, the recruiter ended up calling me back about an hour later asking if I knew anyone else who would be interested because they were looking to feel two of the same positions for the same client. If they're having that much trouble finding qualified candidates and there are two job openings then I gotta be a shoe-in right? I guess I won't hold my breath too long on it.

Job pays twice as much as I was making in the retail field two months ago and I don't have to commute like I did at my last job so I'm excited!
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the interview. You will do good at it and hit it out the park.
    Also, Congrats on the addition to your family.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will do fine and congrats on addition to family. Where in NC are you. The family and I are looking to move down that way :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    You will do fine and congrats on addition to family. Where in NC are you. The family and I are looking to move down that way :)

I live in the Rocky Mount area, it's about 45 minutes east of Raleigh.

If you plan on moving, then you'll want to move to either Charlotte or Raleigh or a community within the surrounding area, that's currently where all the really top notch IT jobs are.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    :study: Life+
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I know that alot is going on i your life, so try and relax and be yourself.

Good Luck, tell us how it goes.icon_thumright.gif
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in the Rocky Mount area, it's about 45 minutes east of Raleigh.

If you plan on moving, then you'll want to move to either Charlotte or Raleigh or a community within the surrounding area, that's currently where all the really top notch IT jobs are.

Thanks for letting me know it is appeciated.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    Interview went well, the HR manager who interviewed me is going on vacation starting today and won't be back until early next week. He said he'd need to pass on information to his boss about potential candidates and I should hear something back by the end of next week. He's passed my information over to the IBM team that they outsource their specific tech work as well as this position is only a 3 month contract.

On top of that I've got another phone call from another company today about a help desk position I applied for about three weeks ago. I interview with them on Monday morning so maybe my work dry spell will end soon.
    -Michael Palmer
    Congrats.
    Interview went well, the HR manager who interviewed me is going on vacation starting today and won't be back until early next week. He said he'd need to pass on information to his boss about potential candidates and I should hear something back by the end of next week.

I wonder how true this is. I've been given lines similar to this before too. Makes me wonder if they are just trying to buy some time.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Congrats.
    I wonder how true this is. I've been given lines similar to this before too. Makes me wonder if they are just trying to buy some time.

Not sure tbh, he appeared to be telling the truth since they had initially wanted to fill the position by this Monday but issues unforseen had pushed it back (he told me their new start date was by July 1, which he wasn't even so sure they'd reach). He still has others to interview and he did seem to be in a hurry to get the interview out of the way, like he was ready to leave or something, so idk.

Either way I'm just happy to have another interview lined up just in case this does go south.
    -Michael Palmer
    congrats, keep up the good work you seem to get interviews so you are un demand
  • Johnta20Johnta20 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well Micheal, any updates on this job?
    I got word last week that they had decided to offer two other candidates with experience a position however there's no guarantee that those two will both accept as it's a 3 month contract position and there's always the chance that they changed their mind or found more permanent work elsewhere while waiting for a response.

The recruiter will let me know if they decide to accept or not on Monday hopefully, if one of them doesn't accept then I've been told that I'm next in line for an offer, so cross your fingers.

As for the other interview I had gotten, I didn't get that job though I knew it was a long shot when I went in. I'm just happy I got the interview of course. I'm still putting in a butt-load of resumes weekly so hopefully I'll have something sooner rather than later.
    -Michael Palmer
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully one of the others doesn't accept the job. Good luck either way.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    keep it up, something will come and you will be happy that your hard work paid off.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, not to burst your bubble, but if you weren't one of the two that they wanted to offer the position to, you are likely not going to get the job even if both people turn down the job. I've been in that situation before and the recruiters do their best to keep you positive and string you along hoping that they can keep you waiting until they find another position to interview you for, or they think that maybe they'd offer.

I'd find it unlikely and hate to say it, but being on that side more than a few times it stinks.
  • codeacecodeace Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everything happens for a good reason! Don't question it. Just accept it :)
    Everything happens for a good reason! Don't question it. Just accept it :)
    I can see it that way and don't think I've stopped putting resumes out there, I haven't, I know it's a long long long long long shot in the dark and being a former poker player (yeah, one of the many things I did years ago, lol) I don't rely on shots in the dark to win.

The situation behind the job as told to me by the actual manager at the company tells me that it's likely that if one doesn't accept that I may recieve an offer. Of course, it also helps to know that they only interviewed four people (another thing I was told by the manager, not the recruiter) so that gives me a 50/50 chance that they'll offer... And of course, I know they don't want to take the time to interview more people as they need the positions filled ASAP because they're actually vacant positions that are normally held by three women going on maternity leave at the same time, lol. They can't afford to take the time to go through another long drawn out interview process for a position that was supposed to be filled by July 1st.
    -Michael Palmer
    Well hopefully you will luck out and neither guy takes the position. The competition in the IT market in NC is absolutely insane right now. I got this app on careerbuilder.com that shows the number of people that apply for certain positions and in the Charlotte NC area for ever position I was qualified for 200+ people would apply. It seems very few people send cover letters though so always send one if you want to stand out and research the company a little bit.
    Got a call from a recruiter this morning for a position I applied for a couple of days ago. The position is located about 10-20 miles away so that's awesome, they've forwarded my resume to the client so hopefully I'll hear back in a day or two on when they'd like me to come in for an interview.

The positions this client is looking to fill include a Windows 7 Deployment position and a Desktop Support position, of course I showed interest in both and made sure the recruiter knew I had my MCDST and MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration certs to show knowledge for both positions.

Crossing fingers again but this looks promising, apparently I'm one of the few people within the area who applied for the position, he said that a lot of the other resumes they were seeing were from folks who lived about 2-3 hours away.
    -Michael Palmer
    Good luck Mike. You are going to get one of these jobs.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's great Micheal I hope that position works out well for you. Hopefully it's something long term or will at least net you a year or two of exp.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck Mike!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Johnta20 wrote: »
    That's great Micheal I hope that position works out well for you. Hopefully it's something long term or will at least net you a year or two of exp.

They're initially 6 month contract positions but apparently the client company has a habit of extending contracts so who knows.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They're initially 6 month contract positions but apparently the client company has a habit of extending contracts so who knows.

Congrats dude!
  • sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any new Mike?Hope you will get the job, i'm also here at NC.
    At the beginning of every week I get some hope and then nothing seems to flourish at the end of the week. This week is no different, I've got one company asking for a mroe clarified cover letter about why I'd be a good fit for their job so I have to construct a new cover letter and resend them my resume, the only downside is it's a position that is more than 50 miles away, but beggers can't be choosers.

I finally got word back from a local shop in town as well that wants to meet with me on Wednesday, so that might actually turn into something. The only problem is I won't be able to make any long term commitments to them and I'm not sure if they'll like that or not... At worst I can probably work the season through Winter and then I'll be looking to try and get a server admin job somewhere if possible, or at least tier 2/3 help desk.
    -Michael Palmer
  • sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're going to ask me Mike, if they offer you the job, grab it. Just don't tell them that you're not going to stay for them for a long period. If you found/get a better job, then that's the time that you will tell them that you need to leave. The economy is not that good, but it will help you if you will get that job. Use it as your stepping stone. Just my 2 cents. icon_smile.gif
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sainth wrote: »
    If you're going to ask me Mike, if they offer you the job, grab it. Just don't tell them that you're not going to stay for them for a long period. If you found/get a better job, then that's the time that you will tell them that you need to leave. The economy is not that good, but it will help you if you will get that job. Use it as your stepping stone. Just my 2 cents. icon_smile.gif
    I'll second that. Telling them stuff like that is shooting yourself in the foot and seriously diminishes your chances of employment.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com