Cisco press and Sybex for IINS

joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is the gerneral consensus to get both the Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) - Hardcover (Apr. 27, 2009) by Catherine Paquet.

and the

CCNA Security Study Guide: Exam 640-553 - Paperback (Mar. 29, 2010) by Tim Boyles.

Also, as i've come to understand, 2 routers capable of running SDM will also be necssary. Kinda hoping my ccna lab will be enough to push forward for the security labs the books have.

Feed back is very welcomed.

Comments

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I would generally recommend using multiple books for any exam. However, for this exam, I used only the Cisco press CCNA Security exam certification guide by Wallace as it was the only book available at the time. In my opinion this is sufficient for this exam. I almost forgot, Chris Bryant's CCNA Security package is on sale for 20 dollars and I always highly recommend his stuff. I used this as well when I was preparing.

As you mentioned, you will definitely need to be intimately familiar with SDM to pass this exam. Also you will need a relatively recent IOS that supports zone based firewalls.

You can do 90% of this exam utilizing GNS3 other than some of the switch security items and those you can do on something as basic as a 2950.

Good luck!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    joe48184 wrote: »
    Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) - Hardcover (Apr. 27, 2009) by Catherine Paquet.

if you can only buy one book this one is what i recommend.

a couple of sdm capable routers and a 2950 switch should be good enough as far as the lab portion goes. getting familiar with the sdm interface is half the battle so make sure you spend some time in there poking around at the different areas.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Does her book comes with a CD? or an eBook?
    I will be buying book for CCNA Security next month and the Sybex book will be in my list. What is the difference between Paquet book and Wallace?
    Wallace book kind of have some bad reviews on Amazon.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good questions THM! I'm waiting for Amazon to ship my Paquet book, as my local Barnes & Nobles only had the (I think?) wallace book which from previous threads here seemed to be a poor choice.

Double-checked: yeah, it was the watkins/wallace book.

I'll have to watch this thread now since I'm curious what's generally considered best next to Paquet's.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    When you receive the book, could please let me know if it comes with the CD or an ebook?
    I need the ebook for my Kindle and I still would like to have the physical book.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    When you receive the book, could please let me know if it comes with the CD or an ebook?
    I need the ebook for my Kindle and I still would like to have the physical book.

I got the book by Catherine Paquet (from amazon), it had no CD with it. I found that unusual as the wireless book and the Voice book had a supplimental CD with them (the wireless and voice books I had seen at Borders books, thats why I know about the cd that came with them).
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joe48184 wrote: »
    it had no CD with it.
    The Cisco Press Exam Certification Guides are the ones that usually will come with a CD (and the Boson Test Engine with the Author/Cisco Press created questions).

Catherine Paquet's book is the Self-Study series. The only CCNA:Voice & CCNA:Wireless books out from Cisco Press are the Exam Certification Guide series.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The Cisco Press Exam Certification Guides are the ones that usually will come with a CD (and the Boson Test Engine with the Author/Cisco Press created questions).

Catherine Paquet's book is the Self-Study series. The only CCNA:Voice & CCNA:Wireless books out from Cisco Press are the Exam Certification Guide series.

Ahh, I see said the blind man. :)
    mikej412 wrote: »

That's good to know. I'm tempted to grab the Cert Guide now as my 2nd source, considering the extra value the Boson exam gives.

bermovick wrote: »
    That's good to know. I'm tempted to grab the Cert Guide now as my 2nd source, considering the extra value the Boson exam gives.

Read the reviews on amazon before you buy the guide, I was surprised by them. Perhaps others here can give you their view also.
    Ahh too late; I grabbed it from border's at 40% off. For $31 (including tax), even if it's not very good it's not a big loss.

bermovick wrote: »
    Ahh too late; I grabbed it from border's at 40% off. For $31 (including tax), even if it's not very good it's not a big loss.

The companion cd is worth the money you paid, not a bad deal.
    For those who have gotten your CCNA Security, what was the material did you use?
    Studying:
    Reading: