Options

I have to be missing something here.

AbbeyandpapaAbbeyandpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, so I am pretty much done with theory having gone through Chris Bryants icnd1 video and have been skimming through the Odom book to pick up the details left out of the video.

While going through I set up my lab along with the videos to get an idea of IOS basic function. Now I am trying to test myself on some setups to practice and came across a big problem; I can't connect a host.

Most basic thing ever and I can't get it. I really feel like an idiot and was trying to figure it out on my own before asking for help. I did a whole bunch of other stuff to practice with before this so this is after write erase.

No other configuration was made beyond ip assignments (maybe this is my problem, I just dont recall needing anything else). So my goal is to be able to get a small LAN up and running from just after setup config.

I broke it down as much as possible to narrow any problems (I should look into some topology mapper thing):

1st setup attempt-
2620xm fa0/0 with address of 192.1.1.1 /24
to 2950 sw (port 12)
to my pc (from port 1 on sw) assigned 192.1.1.5 /24

Interface is on up and up.
Confirmed directly connected static route of 192.1.1.0 out the 192.1.1.1 interface.
All lights are good.
Able to ping gateway of 192.1.1.1 from PC.
UNABLE to ping 192.1.1.5 from router.

debug ip packet still confuses me some and I need some more study on this, but the output looked a little vast for something so simple. More on this if needed.

Next setup I removed the sw since a lot of topologies have router connected directly to users (though I thought they needed a layer 2 device involved).

Immediate issue as lights stayed off and interface was up/down.
So maybe I'm right and topologies assume sw's are to be inserted? Seems strange to me to assume so. Even the basic RIP configuration topology on this site only has 2 routers and 2 hosts.

Longer post than it probably needed to be. I know I am just missing something simple. This most basic setup seems to be dodged a lot in favor of more thorough configurations even in icnd1 labs and books.

/edit: sw is unconfigured, post wr er as well. Just need it to forward frames.

Thanks!
-Abbey's papa

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's curious; I don't see anything wrong with your first scenario either; I'm interested now on what the problem ends up being.

The only issue I see with the 2nd scenario would be that you'd need a crossover cable to connect from router directly to PC, but if removing the switch is the only change you made, I don't see that as being enough to make things workable.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    bugsybugsy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because you can ping the router from the PC, but not vice versa, I'd guess that there is a firewall on the PC that is blocking the ICMP echo requests.

IIRC the built-in firewall in windows blocks this by default on some versions.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    bugsy wrote: »
    Because you can ping the router from the PC, but not vice versa, I'd guess that there is a firewall on the PC that is blocking the ICMP echo requests.

IIRC the built-in firewall in windows blocks this by default on some versions.
    lol agree this a common problem in ccna labs in my local college
  • Options
    AbbeyandpapaAbbeyandpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    haha I knew it was something simple!

/facepalm there.

Thanks bugsy and gouki, I'll whirl it back up and try it.
    I'll let you know the results bermovick.

-Abbey's papa