Security+ Book

miles4miles4 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, I have been searching for the best Security+ Book and many people Recommend Darrils book, any other suggestions? I really want the PDF of the book too so I can read it on my Kindle.

If that truly is the BEST Security+ Book I suppose I could buy the book then purchase it on my Kindle too (only $10) anyways, any help would be cool! Thanks!

Comments

• Subby808Subby808 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've recently just begun to tackle this certification. I've used/read Exam Cram Comptia Security+ second edition. Material was easy to understand and appreciated the chapter text exam questions. Also came with two full practice exams. Book came with a CD loaded with a test engine powered by MeasureUp, another tool to assess readiness for the exam.

I've heard great reviews about Darril Gibson book 'Security Plus: Get Certified Ahead'. I may use this book if I can't manage a higher score with the practice exams. Right now I'm scoring 75/100 on the comptia's practice exam.

Good luck with your certification... My D-day is this coming Saturday.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    miles4 wrote: »
    Okay, I have been searching for the best Security+ Book and many people Recommend Darrils book

I really like that book.. from the text size to the way it feels in the hand when holding it. The content is great and the way he explains stuff is nice as well.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So far I am only 25% through Darril's book but what I have read has been well worth the money, especially for the digital copy. You can't beat the $9.99 pricetag for this.

It is very well written and easy to read. It is loaded with practice questions that include great explainations to explain why a wrong answer was incorrect. I understand why this book is so popular and I would recommend it to anyone studying for Sec+
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I used Darril's book first and then delved into the Sybex book. Sybex Deluxe comes with a CD full of practice tests, flash cards and the book in pdf.

Darril's book laid an excellent foundation and was conceptually easier to grasp where the Sybex book was more technical and dove into more details. Each has practice questions with excellent explanations but Darril's questions were more basic.

Check out Darril's YouTube presentations on hashing, digital signatures, and cryptology, they helped me immensely towards understanding those concepts. There are links on his blog - Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead - plus more interesting info

Also, the CompTIA test questions, imo, were much more difficult than the actual test but gave a good indication of the structure of the test itself.

Good luck
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a little over half way through Darril's book. It is an easy read, and the content is great. Even if you bought both versions, you're still only spending $40. I've spent over triple that on a single book before, that wasn't even as good. If the ebook is important to you, spend the extra $10.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the others about Darrils book, I normally like the Exam Cram books and have used them many times but Darrils book was a better book in my opinion, but you need to look at and choose what you think will best help you. I gave Darrils book to another person and they gave it back saying they liked the Exam Cram Sec+ book better so to each his own.

But like many have said on this website a second book is always good to help with your studies, as a second book may be able to explain a topic clearer than another book.

Good luck in your studies
    Certifications that I am working on
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    miles4 wrote: »
    Okay, I have been searching for the best Security+ Book and many people Recommend Darrils book, any other suggestions? I really want the PDF of the book too so I can read it on my Kindle.

If that truly is the BEST Security+ Book I suppose I could buy the book then purchase it on my Kindle too (only $10) anyways, any help would be cool! Thanks!

I like the Sybex text myself.
    I have several different Sec+ and the Sybex stands out - IMO.
    The Sybex text does a very good job at covering the objectives and has a PDF version on the disk (if one desires to crack the package open).

I think Trainsignal has done a nice job with their material if you want something more then a text and their files work great with an ipod, so the ease of taking a video along (or just listening) is handy.

I've found Shon Harris Video Mentor interesting. The Sec+ is not very expensive and she covers 5 hours of material that could be helpful for someone who is preparing and hasn't had exposure to using sniffers and analyzers and such (though why would one go into the Sec+ without this knowledge??? ) but if you did, at least you'd have a chance to work through the labs after watching her team do the lesson. It was an interesting find.

As far as some of the other texts on the market, I think you could select any one of those and use it to compliment the Sybex. I'm a fan of 2-3 different publishers in addition to experience.

Look at the Library or bookstore, read the previews and maybe even look for a used text to save a couple dollars.

With the CompTIA exams, many aspects of the exam are basic vocabulary. If you don't 'know' the terms...the exam becomes much more complicated. If you do understand them...it becomes much more simple to 'pick' the best answer.

Investing a $50-200 in books for your benefit of learning a topic is really a small bit of money compared to a full-blown degree.

Or take the objectives and search the web for explanations of each topic...all which is 'free' minus your time :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I I think Trainsignal has done a nice job with their material if you want something more then a text and their files work great with an ipod, so the ease of taking a video along (or just listening) is handy.

I've only watched 3 videos, so I am likely still not far enough in to write a review. But so far I've been pretty bored. The guy is very knowledgeable, but he is just too careful about what he says. He pauses a lot and talks slow, so in an hour video I'm probably only getting 45 minutes of information.

The other thing that bothers me a bit is the lack of video. It is mostly just a powerpoint type thing going through bullet points. I find I get distracted with other webpages a bit.

The whole reason I bought trainsignal was to get it on my phone. I'm going to do that either tonight or tomorrow, and then I can listen while I'm in the car. I can easily listen to a video a day just driving to and from work. I was afraid that I would miss too much not seeing the video, but that clearly won't be a problem.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've only watched 3 videos, so I am likely still not far enough in to write a review. But so far I've been pretty bored. The guy is very knowledgeable, but he is just too careful about what he says. He pauses a lot and talks slow, so in an hour video I'm probably only getting 45 minutes of information.

The other thing that bothers me a bit is the lack of video. It is mostly just a powerpoint type thing going through bullet points. I find I get distracted with other webpages a bit.

The whole reason I bought trainsignal was to get it on my phone. I'm going to do that either tonight or tomorrow, and then I can listen while I'm in the car. I can easily listen to a video a day just driving to and from work. I was afraid that I would miss too much not seeing the video, but that clearly won't be a problem.

I will agree on several points!
    - Very knowledgeable instructor
    - Could speak more quickly (but on some players you can increase the speed (which I often do..haven't tried on the ipod, usually when I listen there I'm walking/mowing the lawn, etc...so no biggie) But I do agree, if I sit at my PC...it's slow
    - Agree on the PP video issue...which is why I enjoy listening rather then watching.

Shon Harris' videos they speak very quickly and have great video-follow-along...so like texts, CBT videos fill a couple different segments and there isn't a one-size-fits-all.

I do like how TS keeps one company scenerio throughout. I can only image it would be very helpful for a new comer into IT to help bring things into perspective.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started watching the Shon Harris' videos and so far I have enjoyed them, a big reason is because they are free to Safari Books Online subscribers, but also because they are very informative and don't put me to sleep.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    - Agree on the PP video issue...which is why I enjoy listening rather then watching.

I just put the mp3 files and the mp4 files on my phone. Now I can watch or listen anywhere. That was the whole reason I bought trainsignal. So even if the material isn't quite as good, the convenience factor is a huge plus.
  • Prash_SOCPrash_SOC Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I would really appreciate if any of you can share latest study material (Preferably 5th Edition of Sybex study Guide for Security +) or links to free study material. Any related audio or CBT nuggets would also be a great help. Thanks...