Linkedin

kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry got to vent some frustration about info posted on Linkedin. Has anyone else noticed how much bad information is posted on this webiste in the Comptia discussion groups?
Certifications that I am working on
Project+
70-680
70-685

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Anywhere that people can post opinions is a place that bad information can be spread. So thats pretty much everywhere.

I tried to participate in some of the discussions on a few of the groups on linkedin, but after personal attacks and ridicule (without facts to back it up) i figured my time was just being wasted.
  • kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I totally agree its a waste of time to try and post correct information on this site that is suppose to be for professionals. I have pointed people to this website to help them get good information but it doesnt seem to go anywhere.
    Certifications that I am working on
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've recently joined the MCSA group and such, and I find it amusing that people are asking for A+ help there. There are several groups devoted to CompTIA and A+, so go post your stuff in one of them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    kaigei wrote: »
    I totally agree its a waste of time to try and post correct information on this site that is suppose to be for professionals.

On the otherhand, a hiring manager might see that you are correcting someone and contact you for an interview.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You know this brings an interesting question.

Where do you list your certs on Linkedin? Do you do it under Education? I just realized I don't have my certs listed on my profile.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »

Where do you list your certs on Linkedin? Do you do it under Education? I just realized I don't have my certs listed on my profile.

Some do it under specialties, but I prefer to have it under summary.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I have mine under specialties i think. Reason is only certain sections show up in the "breif" view that everyone sees so i wanted them to be seen if someone looking to hire people was poking around linkedin.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I have mine under specialties i think. Reason is only certain sections show up in the "breif" view that everyone sees so i wanted them to be seen if someone looking to hire people was poking around linkedin.

Mine is more "PeopleSoft"-centric and I have a particular vertical (Higher Ed) that I am concentrate on getting hired from, should I want to. But I would throw A+ and Network+ in there just to tell folks that I got something. :)
    Some do it under specialties, but I prefer to have it under summary.

I might do that too. Thanks.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I have mine under specialties i think. Reason is only certain sections show up in the "brief" view that everyone sees so i wanted them to be seen if someone looking to hire people was poking around linkedin.

That is interesting. I didn't realize they wouldn't be seen during a general Google search.

Under Summary I have a brief description of who I am, then I list my current certifications, and under that I have listed out my 2010 goals. At one point I had some 2011 goals too, but then I decided I wanted to have them in 2010 so I just piled them on 2010 and removed 2011.

Under specailties I list different computer things, like Active Directory.

Edit: And yes, your linkedin profiles are googleable. When I type in my first and last name, it is the first response.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Edit: And yes, your linkedin profiles are googleable. When I type in my first and last name, it is the first response.

That much I do know. I do have a list of my current and past companies and I do not think that's a bad thing. I keep my linkedin and twitter very professional. It's not the only social media site I participate in (I do not do Facebook). I am very anti-Facebook. The only reason I do twitter is because every now and again I'll get twitted some great deals. But I do not "tweet" every 5 minutes or even every 5 weeks. LOL.
    It's not the only social media site I participate in (I do not do Facebook). I am very anti-Facebook. The only reason I do twitter is because every now and again I'll get twitted some great deals. But I do not "tweet" every 5 minutes or even every 5 weeks. LOL.

I am very anti-twitter. I will not be doing any tweeting. I do use facebook though. It keeps me in touch with the people I graduated with and with some former coworkers. I also have a lot of my family from out of state that I can keep tabs on. I don't do a lot of posting, mostly just lurking and gaming.

Last week when the power was out, I was using facebook on my phone to determine the extent of the outage, it was quite amusing actually.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I am very anti-twitter. I will not be doing any tweeting. I do use facebook though. It keeps me in touch with the people I graduated with and with some former coworkers. I also have a lot of my family from out of state that I can keep tabs on. I don't do a lot of posting, mostly just lurking and gaming.

Last week when the power was out, I was using facebook on my phone to determine the extent of the outage, it was quite amusing actually.

I used to be quite anti-Twitter, but once you find its use (for me, following Network professionals and motorsport related stuff) you find an IMMENSE amount of information out from it. It definitely has its uses.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kaigei wrote: »
    Sorry got to vent some frustration about info posted on Linkedin. Has anyone else noticed how much bad information is posted on this webiste in the Comptia discussion groups?

I wasn't aware there were any discussions on the Comptia group.... not active at least...