70-652 Configuring Windows Server Virtualization

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, anyone here working on 70-652 Configuring Windows Server Virtualization? I am in the process of moving all my servers at one location to Hyper-V so I thought I would pursue the new MCITP virtualization track. The funny thing is that there is only one book available for the entire track. The rest of the exams were only created in Feb, March, and April of this year so I guess we will see books in the future. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was pursuing this certification. I'm working on a study guide for it. If you want a copy, just PM me and I'll send it your way once I am done with it.
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    i sat this a few weeks ago. It wasn't very difficult. The mspress book for this exam is quite good and gives you most of the details you need. Make sure you play around with interface. The cbt nuggets for this exam were very disappointing. I recommend these guys: ITDVDS.COM
    You cant beat the price plus they have very useful videos which would help with some of the Windows 7 and Windows 2008 exams.

Plus check these out:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/32444-71-652-notes.html#post222605
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/44717-ms-70-652-70-403-a.html

These are quite useful as well: server virtualisation episodes
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read the Sybex book for 70-652, and did the labs, and passed the exam easily. The book was inadequate for 659, though... I failed the beta exam after reading it, though it was close, so if you read the book along with TechNet articles covering the R2 features you can probably pass.

Mastering Microsoft Virtualization from Sybex covers everything for 70-659, 70-669 and 70-693 (it's also a great read). After reading it and doing most of the labs I passed the 669 and 693 beta exams (I took 71-659 before this book was available). Since the 652 also gives credit for the MCITP:VA, I opted to not retake the 659.

After going through these two Sybex books I was also able to pass 70-403 (I took this on a lark after I found an early expiration voucher for $10). Sybex also has a book specifically for the 403 exam.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Took this like a year ago for free with a voucher from MS. Easiest MS test ive taken, by far. Scored a 935.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I agree, the 652 was an easy test that didn't require much effort. If you look at how Microsoft counts the certifications for partner competency requirements, the 652 plus the 403 SCVMM exam are the equivalent of the 659 R2 virtualization exam. This may be why all 3 are in the same book.

Although they are not the easiest MS exams I have taken (the Networking Essentials exam in the old NT track may be the easiest exam I have ever taken in any subject), neither the 652 or 403 are challenging. Opinion from the 659 beta had it rated at a higher difficulty level.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll probably be taking this one soon since I've been building a lot of hyper-v clusters recently, so figured I might as well pick up the matching certification. It doesn't look like it'll be too difficult to do.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I may even take this one as I have managed to maintain a freeby MSN test through WGU using my free second shot (long story) and have been doing most of the stuff mentioned in the objectives, with a few untouched, while studying for the 643.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be aware of this note:

If you take Exam 70-652 to count toward your Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator certification, it will not appear on your transcript until September 2010

This little note weirded me out. I did 652 last year. Weird test by the way... make sure you are up on VMM first. I think I had more VMM question here than the VMM test (which had SCOM, SCCM and Hyper-V questions...).

Oh, but yes... I am totally on this new MCITP.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Looks like I totally over prepared for this test because I got a 1000 on it. You were right about the difficulty. It was not that hard.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
    Congrats on the score!
    Have you finished the study guide as I pm'd you for it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Yes. I'll send it to you. I just need your email.
    Awesome study guide. Printing it out to go with my notes. Looks like you put a lot into the guide.
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I would love a copy of your notes. Can this be shared out, or do they contain copyrighted material?
    You can download it here.

Scholarly Portal
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much for posting, I've got this one in my sights as well.
    Cheers!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • kojekoje Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, has anyone taken this 70-562 Configuring Windows Server Virtualization test recently? I am going to do this exam next week. So far I have used only Sybex book for 70-652. The thread says that this test should be pretty easy. What about if you don't have virtualization experience before. Is the book still enough or should I use wider material to study virtualization before going to test?

koje
    The Sybex book is enough for the exam, assuming you do all the labs. Do you feel like you understand the material?
    MentholMoose
    Thanks, I feel comfortable with most of the material in Sybex book except chapter 6 - Managing Virtual Machines. That chapter deals mostly with SCVMM so that is obviously my weak spot. All other chapters I think I understand very well. I have huge advantage that I have previous experience of SQL Server and Windows clusters. So I will have focus on SCVMM now.
    Did you set up and lab SCVMM? If not, do so. It's not that complicated, so a little hands-on experience will go a long way.
    MentholMoose
    Unfortunately I have say that Sybex 70-652 book didn't do the job for me and I failed with 597 score. I manage to answer practice questions in this book over 91% right so "challenging" practice questions were much to easy when comparing actual exam questions. And worst of all seems that book doesn't even cover all the needed content. So I am now using Microsoft's own TK for second shot!
    Did you do any of the labs in the book?
    MentholMoose
    Yes, you are right. I didn't do the labs because I didn't have time. Probably that was the reason why I failed. After reading the Sybex book 3 times and answering the practice questions 3 times I feel that this book have nothing new to offer so I have change my focus on reading Microsoft 70-652 Training Kit. I haven't started yet but it looks to have more complicated stuff than the Sybex book. Perhaps this two books together help will me pass the exam. I haven't book the second shot exam date yet so I have plenty of time to setup test environment now. I am sure that when I have more hands on experience of this product I will also pass the exam more easily.

Many thanks MentholMoose for you help.