Internet connection cuts off each time PC is turned off

DoireDoire Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Friend of mine has hooked up to the internet. If he turns off his computer and then turns it on a day later the internet conenction is gone.

He is using broadband.

What could be the causes/solutions

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Sounds like he is losing his IP address, which would be a Dhcp issue.... How do you get the connection back????
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • DoireDoire Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Ricka182.

Some other "tech" was called out to my friends home and "fixed" it. However when he left the problem started again the next day. This has happened a few times now.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    A quick fix would give the computer a static IP that it got from DHCP.
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    He needs to make sure that the broadband router or gateway has a persistent connections to ISP via username and password if using PPoE and save in the router/gateway connection settings.

If using NAT, then connection is always available. If using PPoE without a router/gateway, then he can establish a connection via Network Connection wizard and fill in the username as user@isp.net and password. Then simply double click the connection icon and bingo! Just like dialup connection.

Another way is to use the route /p command if using NAT and enter all the necessary paramaters.
    What next?
    Jmc724 i havent a clue what you are on about mate. icon_rolleyes.gif

My friends PC is for home use and he uses broadband.
    Doire wrote:
    Jmc724 i havent a clue what you are on about mate. icon_rolleyes.gif

My friends PC is for home use and he uses broadband.

He is asking if you have DSL & if you do then maybe your username & password is not staying connected? He also is asking if you have NAT (a router) connected to issue internal private IPs, if this is true then just go through the connection wizard & add your DSL username & password.
    My friend uses Broadband. He hasnt a modem as such but uses an adapter. There are no routers involved and it doesnt use Dial-up either.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Ok, that's just strange then.

If it's cable, you need a cable modem.

If it's DSL, you need a DSL modem and usually have to setup a pppoe or pppoa connection to authenticate to your provider (mimics a dialup connection, but it's not really....)

If it's IFITL (Integrated Fiber In The Loop) you don't have to have a modem, you plug the computer directly into the wall jack, but you still have to authenticate via pppoe or pppoa.

You're saying he just plugs his computer straight into the wall? If so, that sounds like he's on someone elses network, not a direct broadband connection.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    Yea, be specific. What does your friends setup look like?
    He uses a cable modem. Hoever British Telecom dont classify it as a modem but an adapter which then plugs into the wall.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well .......it's not really a modem. Modem stands for Modulator - Demodulator. With a modem, digital signals that are sent from your computer are converted to analog signals (Modulate) so the data can be sent over your telephone line and when it gets to the receiving computer the data is then converted back from analog to digital (Demodulate). So you're right, the cable modem is not actually a modem since with cable the data stays in digital format, it just somehow received the name "cable modem".

What steps does your friend have to take in order to regain internet access?

When you say this occurs when your friend powers on his computer the following day, is he powering down the cable modem (adapter) when he turns off his computer and then by chance powering on the computer before the cable modem (adapter). If so, then he just needs to make sure he powers on his adapter before the computer and wait for all lights to come on and then at that point power on the PC.
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I work in a IT call center and i hear this all the time, the PC aint a Packard Bell is it??
    I havent been to his home yet to fix the problem. I was supposed to go last sunday but he was out of town on business.
    RobsonGTO, are Packard Bells a likely cause?
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Well im techincal support for them in the UK, and there has been some compatibility errors between these machine and the naff ASDL modems that BT give out. There is a patch out for it, but end of the day, he may be better off getting a cheap router of ebay and hooking it up.