I need a quick overview of wireless!

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I have a technical interview in one week with a company that also does wireless in addition to routing/switching and voice. Although I have decent knowledge of the last two, I know almost nothing about wireless, and the company rep I spoke with today said I should know at least a little something about wireless, just so I don't appear completely ignorant (my words - not his). All I know about wireless is what I covered in the CCNA.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could absorb in this amount of time? I certainly don't have time to read a book. Keep in mind that I'm also reviewing the routing/switching and voice end of things, so I can't devote all my time just on wireless. It may be a lot to ask, but that's the situation I'm in. It's a great job - starting at $55k-$65k/yr to start out, so I want to give it all I've got. Thanks.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can get your hands on a CWNA book and work on that, do it.

The Wikipedia page is a good start. There are plenty of links off the main page to keep you busy: IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely know the differences between a/b/g/n. Know the causes and types of interference. What are the different types of equipment you'd encounter and work with?

Know security information. What's the difference between WEP, WPA, and WPA2? Personal vs. Enterprise? How long does it take to crack WEP? Are MAC-filtering and disabling SSID broadcasts effective methods of securing wireless networks? Learn the differences in the EAP types if you have time.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you can, get your hands on a wireless router and lab up the configurations that Dynamik mentioned. Basic understanding of how to integrate your enterprise network with a wireless router would be good.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    rsutton wrote: »
    If you can, get your hands on a wireless router and lab up the configurations that Dynamik mentioned. Basic understanding of how to integrate your enterprise network with a wireless router would be good.

Unfortunately, I don't have wireless equipment. I doubt I'd have the time to lab up anything even if I did, with all the other studying to be done in the next week.