CISSP Retake Policy

hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
I'm sure it's listed someplace or posted here but I didn't find it when I searched. What is the retake policy for the CISSP exam?

Can you sign up for another exam while waiting on the results from a prior exam?

How long do you have to wait to retake it after a failure?

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    There is no time limit between retakes to my knowledge.

But I'd sit tight and wait for the results before re-submitting any fees etc As you will not get a full refund should you pass\decide to cancel for any reason.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Please email registrar@isc2.org and ask about their exam retake policy and the URL where it is posted. Please post the response here.
    This is the only thing I can find :-

"1.6 Re-Testing
    (ISC)² uses the term "retake" to identify a candidate who has previously sat for an examination and now wishes to make another attempt. You must complete, execute and re-submit the examination registration form to retake an examination. This form provides (ISC)² with your contact information and requires that you demonstrate the required
    experience, and select your test site and date. You must also submit the appropriate fee. (ISC)² does not impose any type of "waiting period" between retake attempts. "

Extracted from here :-
    https://www.isc2.org/uploadedFiles/Downloads/exam_reg_form.pdf
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    I wonder if the (ISC)2 will allow you to re-take an exam for a cert that you have already passed and has not expired. I hear this was done by several authors of unofficial CISSP study materials, but I don't know if they always used the same identity.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I wonder if the (ISC)2 will allow you to re-take an exam for a cert that you have already passed and has not expired. I hear this was done by several authors of unofficial CISSP study materials, but I don't know if they always used the same identity.

Are you saying that there's dishonest (ISC)2 members? This cannot be true, lol.

next point covers that

"1.7 Recertification by Examination
    It is the policy of (ISC)² to prohibit the retaking of any (ISC)² examination by a certificate holder more than 90 days prior to the expiration of the holder’s certificate (i.e., to audit the exam). Furthermore, a certificate holder may not retake an examination if (1) he/she has been decertified by (ISC)² and prohibited from being recertified; (2) he/she possesses the requisite number of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits for recertification; (3) he/she owes any Annual Maintenance Fees (AMFs); or (4) he/she currently serves, or intends to serve within the next 90 days, as an instructor or advisor preparing others for the examination, whether for (ISC)² or any other organization. Violation of any provision
    of this policy shall"
    So if I wanted to continually retake an (ISC)2 exam (for whatever reason) I would need to make sure that I failed it each time. There's no waiting period or a limit on how many retakes in a given period of time, or even if you need to wait for the results of one exam before signing up for the next.

This is only a hypothetical. With the 100K+ people that have taken (ISC)2 exams, I'm sure this has happened only a few times.
    Looks like I have my answer. But I'll wait until I get my results before I take it again. I'm scheduled for Nov 6, 2010.

Who administers the exams? Local members or do members travel to the testing locations? How can you become a test administrator? Do you get paid?
    Who administers the exams? Local members or do members travel to the testing locations? How can you become a test administrator? Do you get paid?
    Once you are a member of the (ISC)2 in good standing, you can volunteer to be an exam proctor. Proctors are "paid" in CPEs. Exam supervisors can get either a small payment or CPEs. If they need you in some remote locale, the (ISC)2 will pay for the travel and hotel expenses. If the testing place local to you, then you can get mileage.
    Once you are a member of the (ISC)2 in good standing, you can volunteer to be an exam proctor. Proctors are "paid" in CPEs. Exam supervisors can get either a small payment or CPEs. If they need you in some remote locale, the (ISC)2 will pay for the travel and hotel expenses. If the testing place local to you, then you can get mileage.

Thanks JD. Once I pass, I would like to become a proctor.
    Thanks JD. Once I pass, I would like to become a proctor.
    I've heard from two that it's just about the most boring and unglamorous job there is. sleeping.gif
    I've heard from two that it's just about the most boring and unglamorous job there is. sleeping.gif

yep I've heard that too, but for 40points in the bag for sitting there with my laptop\book then I'll do it given the chance. Besides it a little way of giving something back I guess
    yep I've heard that too, but for 40points in the bag for sitting there with my laptop\book then I'll do it given the chance. Besides it a little way of giving something back I guess

40 CPE's for 6+ hours of work? Not bad man. I'll do that. I've done a whole lot worse in less time, like being blown up in Iraq so being a proctor is cake!

Now, where was I...oh yea, trying to pass the exam, lol.
    for sitting there with my laptop\book ...
    Proctors aren't suppose to have their heads down. If one was reading/laptopping then I hope the other two were watching the room.
    Yeah I think they were taking it turns to watch the room. Certainly whenever I looked up there was always somebody visibly scanning the room. To be fair they could all have been doing so, I just recall seeing a laptop and book lying on a desk.
  • rhillrhill Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Q. What is (ISC)²’s policy for retaking the exam after an unsuccessful attempt?
    A. Candidates who do not pass the exam will be able to retest once every 30 days, but candidates will be limited to two attempts within every 90-day application period.

https://www.isc2.org/csslp-cbt-faqs.aspx
    rhill wrote: »
    A. Candidates who do not pass the exam will be able to retest once every 30 days, but candidates will be limited to two attempts within every 90-day application period.

Interesting to see that's different to the exam registration form.

oh and welcome
    rhill wrote: »

Sounds good to me. I hope I only have to take it once.