DNS problem

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Ok this one is confusing... So I just built a new web server on our local network. Everything on the server works fine now comes the tricky part. When users try connect to it by using the name only some can connect others cannot. However everyone can connect using the ip address. So obviously it would be a DNS issue. The server has one main ip address then there are 5 attached web server ip addresses.

Things Ive done:

Deleted the 5 attached website ip address from dns so now there is only the one main ip there attached to the name.

Made sure the forward & reverse lookup zones are accurate as far as record type and ip/name association.

They are identical on both our domain controllers/dns servers however one can connect using the name and one cannot. weird?

I did do ipconfig /flushdns and it didn't help multiple times lol.

Anyone seen this before?

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you sure that the servers that can't connect via the name are actually connecting via the ip? If all you are using is ping, it may be lying to you. Try doing a telnet over port 80 or access files off of the server to be sure that you are actually hitting the server.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Are you sure that the servers that can't connect via the name are actually connecting via the ip? If all you are using is ping, it may be lying to you. Try doing a telnet over port 80 or access files off of the server to be sure that you are actually hitting the server.

Yea they can connect using the ip not just ping it and another thing they can connect using the FQDN just not the host name.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Yea they can connect using the ip not just ping it and another thing they can connect using the FQDN just not the host name.

Is the default suffix configured correctly on those machines?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have the same DNS servers configured on all those machines? What do you get if you use nslookup?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Is it doing a NetBIOS lookup? The host name resolution system in Windows is weird. If the DNS lookup fails then it will try NetBIOS.
    nslookup said everything was the same as far as I could tell. Both A type records with correct PT records. It seems like all the hosts on the DC2 (we split up the network so half use DC1 and half use DC2) can not connect using the host name just the FQDN and ip. I reloaded the dns on dc2 so it should be identical to dc1 and still no luck.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Is it doing a NetBIOS lookup? The host name resolution system in Windows is weird. If the DNS lookup fails then it will try NetBIOS.

It seems to be but just for the one server, how do i disable that.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Is the default suffix configured correctly on those machines?

You didn't answer DB on this question - I'd agree it sounds like a suffix issue if the FQDN is working. Chances are it's misconfigured on the other DHCP pool (presuming you are using DHCP)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    You didn't answer DB on this question - I'd agree it sounds like a suffix issue if the FQDN is working. Chances are it's misconfigured on the other DHCP pool (presuming you are using DHCP)

Sorry for not replying work got busy. Yea the suffix was right, it was identical to DC1. I did get it to work and it makes little to no sense to me.

I did two things, one was I created a reservation with the name/ip in both primary and secondary dhcp servers. Then I went to the computer that couldn't connect to it by name and tried and it didn't work. Then I browsed for it through the network (like browsing all network computers/servers and scrolling to it) then it worked after I did that. Now it works all the time. Maybe DHCP just took time to populate over it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks for your help!
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, sounds a bit weird. Not sure if flushing the DNS would have resolved it as well on those that it didn't work on, but now that it does work I guess you can ignore that bit.

I would have also suggested just statically placing the IP for the DNS server in one of the computers it didn't work in just to see if it was definitely a DHCP error or not.

Glad you got it worked out though.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Then I browsed for it through the network (like browsing all network computers/servers and scrolling to it) then it worked after I did that. Now it works all the time. Maybe DHCP just took time to populate over it still doesn't make much sense to me.
    I'd still look into your DNS server and its settings. It sounds like you're doing NetBIOS name resolving since it only started working once you cached it from browsing the domain.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Are you connecting by NetBIOS name or FQDN?