WGU Information Technology Professionals Scholarships

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
As far as I know this is a brand new IT Scholarship.

Information Technology Professionals Scholarships | WGU Scholarships

Comments

• forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    If I'm reading it right, it doesn't seem to be of much value to those of us with no college credits to transfer.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    forkvoid wrote: »
    If I'm reading it right, it doesn't seem to be of much value to those of us with no college credits to transfer.

Yes, it appears to be aimed at those with a two-year degree and some IT certifications.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just applied.

I am not holding my breath....I answered the 4 essays I thought well. But let's see if I get a call from the Scholarship team next week.

It's great that I have the two certs....yay! But my luck, I probably "make too much." icon_sad.gif
    Yes, it appears to be aimed at those with a two-year degree and some IT certifications.

Nope... while "the best candidates will be able to demonstrate that they have obtained the equivalent of 2 years of completed college experience", I don't have a two year degree and I transferred more than 15 CUs.

The only thing I need is the last thing, interview with scholarship counselor.
    Who the Scholarship is for

This scholarship is for:
    • IT professionals who possess at least two current IT certifications and want to earn a bachelor’s degree.
    Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
    • Complete an application for admission.
    • Submit official transcripts of all prior college work and be able to transfer at least 15 competency units (CUs). (The best candidates will be able to demonstrate that they have obtained the equivalent of 2 years of completed college experience.)
    • Submit proof of having earned at least two current IT certifications. See acceptable IT certifications.
    • Be officially admitted to WGU.
    • Interview with a WGU Scholarship Counselor prior to award decision.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I need to find some scholarship money for my Masters degree. I am getting out of the Guard in a couple of months. Well I don't "need" money for school but would be great if I could secure some funding to lessen the burden.
    As I set out to do in this thread earlier, I applied for it having met the qualifications. I received a call about 1 week ago for the Interview. I guess over a week went by, I got $600 every 6 months for 5 terms. ($3K).

"The scholarship Committee at WGU reviewed your application and has selected you to receive an Information Technology Professionals Scholarship. This scholarship is for the following amount and terms:

Amount per term: $600
    Maximum number of terms: 5
    Maximum total value: $3,000"

I encourage all of you to apply if you haven't done so. If you have the CUs earned at WGU or elsewhere, plus two certs, (and I believe the CIW stuff will count...), then definitely apply!

(Thank God I did A+ and Network+ after all....lmao!!)
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Grats, will you even be there for 5 terms?
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    Grats, will you even be there for 5 terms?

Thank you and probably less....by my personal calculations, it's looking like 3, 4 tops!

Veritas, thank you so much for posting that, btw!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats Erpadmin!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats Erpadmin!

Thanks brother! :) The good news is now I really can afford that server and components I just bought! I have to wait a couple of days for it to show up in the Financial Aid tab, but then it's all good!

Thank you to all and as I said, I encourage you all to apply if you have an IT background, no matter how small you think it is....let the Scholarship board decide!
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I need to find some scholarship money for my Masters degree. I am getting out of the Guard in a couple of months. Well I don't "need" money for school but would be great if I could secure some funding to lessen the burden.

::::IASP::::HOME::::

Don't know if this is something you are looking for or not. I can't tell whether or not you can do civilian DoD or have to stay active military.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Thank you and probably less....by my personal calculations, it's looking like 3, 4 tops!

Veritas, thank you so much for posting that, btw!

NP, I'm just glad to see a hard-working IT professional save some money icon_thumright.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got $600 for 5 terms.
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks Mike. $600 every 6 months definitely will help my wallet. Especially since I just dropped some money on building a lab. This has definitely been a good month. :)
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As I set out to do in this thread earlier, I applied for it having met the qualifications. I received a call about 1 week ago for the Interview. I guess over a week went by, I got $600 for 5 terms. ($3K).

"The scholarship Committee at WGU reviewed your application and has selected you to receive an Information Technology Professionals Scholarship. This scholarship is for the following amount and terms:

I encourage all of you to apply if you haven't done so. If you have the CUs earned at WGU or elsewhere, plus two certs, (and I believe the CIW stuff will count...), then definitely apply!

Very nice! I am going to definitely check into this when I finish my AAS next year.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    looks like this scholarship is no longer offered...

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    looks like this scholarship is no longer offered...

awwww why do you say that? I just called them and they told me to fill out the online app which I'm doing now.

I have to write my whole life story blah....
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
    lenell86 wrote: »
    awwww why do you say that? I just called them and they told me to fill out the online app which I'm doing now.

I have to write my whole life story blah....

Trust me...it pays off at the end....

It doesn't have to be your whole life story...just make your essays readable and under the required limit. MS Word [word count] is your friend, in that regard.

From what you're saying it sounds like the scholarship is still available, but they don't have it on the website for some reason. I guess I'll keep the link in my sig until I hear otherwise.
  • lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trust me...it pays off at the end....

It doesn't have to be your whole life story...just make your essays readable and under the required limit. MS Word [word count] is your friend, in that regard.

From what you're saying it sounds like the scholarship is still available, but they don't have it on the website for some reason. I guess I'll keep the link in my sig until I hear otherwise.

Yea, when my EC emailed me the available scholarships, he sent it as a word doc and it was dated 11.1.10.

I didn't ask directly with the scholarship people, I just asked how I can apply and they directed me to the site to click on the scholarship and hit apply. Yea I didn't see it as one of the choices so I just clicked on any of them and applied that way since it brings you to a generic site to login and fill out a long app so I think any of the scholarships brings you to the same site.
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Mike. $600 every 6 months definitely will help my wallet. Especially since I just dropped some money on building a lab. This has definitely been a good month. :)

Well played! That's awesome!
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    As I set out to do in this thread earlier, I applied for it having met the qualifications. I received a call about 1 week ago for the Interview. I guess over a week went by, I got $600 every 6 months for 5 terms. ($3K).

Great job! Congrats!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    ok, maybe it is still available. I just applied for scholarships and it told me that the ones that I qualified for included:

Information Technology Professionals ScholarshipWGU is pleased to offer the WGU Information Technology Professionals Scholarships. These scholarships, each valued up to $3,000, are designed to help IT professionals earn their online IT degree and additional IT certifications to better their IT careers.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4