In-progress certifications

2»

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    It has never even crossed my mind to do something like that. Someone could put anything on there..."currently pursuing CCIE,MCA, and i cant believe its not butter".
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    brad- wrote: »
    It has never even crossed my mind to do something like that. Someone could put anything on there..."currently pursuing CCIE,MCA, and i cant believe its not butter".

I don't think the point of the conversation has anything to do with truthfulness. You can make up anything you want on your resume, not just certifications in progress.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ColbyG wrote: »
    You must not have understood that I was saying the way you're going about the discussion isn't really relevant to the current conversation.;)

Ok, let me start again then.

The original bent of this discussion was whether to list "In-Progress" certs on a resume. Some folks say yes, list them, some others say no, because you don't have the paper so it shouldn't be listed.

My bent on dumpers with certs I didn't feel was terribly irrelevant, as I was looking to strengthen the point of including "In-progress" certs on the resume PROVIDED that said person actually was studying for the paper, instead of just trying to game the filter. Goes to the point I was trying to make:

1) Hire the person who proves cert-knowledge, but no cert (as of yet).

2) Hire the person with the cert, but dumped his way through.

Now, this isn't including the legitimate cert-holder, because I would want you to assume that he did not apply for this job.

So yes, I wanted folks to think along those lines.

If I sounded curt, I didn't mean to and have no problem apologizing. Sometimes when folks write on the interwebs, stuff gets lost in translation. :)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok, let me start again then.

The original bent of this discussion was whether to list "In-Progress" certs on a resume. Some folks say yes, list them, some others say no, because you don't have the paper so it shouldn't be listed.

My bent on dumpers with certs I didn't feel was terribly irrelevant, as I was looking to strengthen the point of including "In-progress" certs on the resume PROVIDED that said person actually was studying for the paper, instead of just trying to game the filter. Goes to the point I was trying to make:

1) Hire the person who proves cert-knowledge, but no cert (as of yet).

2) Hire the person with the cert, but dumped his way through.

Now, this isn't including the legitimate cert-holder, because I would want you to assume that he did not apply for this job.

So yes, I wanted folks to think along those lines.

If I sounded curt, I didn't mean to and have no problem apologizing. Sometimes when folks write on the interwebs, stuff gets lost in translation. :)

I totally agree with you.icon_cheers.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since we're throwing out scenarios -- who would you rather work with? The guy who says he fixed a problem because he actually did? Or the guy who says he fixed a problem because he's going to come in on the weekend to fix it -- and then you get called in to fix it?

Who would you rather work for? A project/team lead who reports all milestones met for 6 months since his team can always work late and weekends to catch up -- and then get laid off since the project is behind schedule and gets canceled.? Or the project/team lead who keeps his project on schedule and hits all the milestones (or reports an issue or missed milestone so some sort of action can be taken to either get the project back on schedule -- or modify/slip the schedule)?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    To throw another scenario out there, two trains travel at each other, one 40 mph, another 50 mph, they are 10 miles away, at what time does the film start?

I should lay off the cough syrup.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We had quite a heated debate if I remember correctly on this topic not long ago if search through the forum.

I put the certs in progress on mine. I think it shows initiative at lets the employer know you are serious about continuing your learning. It would be something that I would like to see if I were reading resumes. I usually put "Currently working towards blah".

I totally agree with networker here. I always put a short section listing future educational targets. Im not talking about reeling off a whole list but for example in my position, i have the ccna and have finished my Bsc Hons degree. so i put down "currently working towards...CCNP, Msc in blah blah blah" and that was it. Just a very brief statement which didnt take up much space and was relevant to the jobs im applying for. However, I dont agree with supplying a list of a dozen certs you are aiming for.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »

mmm i like utterly butterly :D

anyway, i can see what your saying but surely, well i would hope, the interviewer would be able to filter out such people whilst interviewing them. If some chump says his working towards MCA or CCIE and his full of sh1t then surely you would be able to test his knowledge to identify that?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking