VRF lite with GRE tunnels

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

I read about a suggestion to use VRF lite with GRE tunnels to allow VLANs to span across a layer 3 link.

But I can't any where find guides on setting this up, VFR is something I haven't ever used before.

I have a core switch (4500) connected to two distribution switchs (3750's), and i need to have a vlan span across them. I know its not tidy but the users of the two devices on this vlan say it has to be this way and its simpler to allow it than fight them. After all two devices are hardly going to kill the network devices.

Does any one have links to setting up VRF lite wih GRE tunnels or any better solutions for spanning VLANS across layer 3 ?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'm not sure how you'd use VRF lite as you're using AToM/EoMPLS, which uses LDP. You can also do it with L2TP. I have a recent post on my blog explaining the former.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yer I saw that xconnect solution out there as well. I think i need to look that up :) cheers for the link.

As I am doing this on 3750's I am assuming I would apply the xconnect to the vlan interface?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Honestly, I don't think they support it. I could be wrong though.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mmm seems not, icon_sad.gif what is L2protocol-tunnel though?

I jsut seen it so will look it up but if you know seems no harm asking ;)

cheers for the help by the way.

(aww nope see taht seems like QinQ, I wonder if there is any way to do this using 3750 switches)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    L2protocol tunnel is for qinq like you have seen. It allows the tunneling of CDP, VTP etc.

I think you are out of luck with the 3750.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.