I'm getting a job!

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
It's not much, but it's something for the time being. I got an offer today to work at one of the local repair shops and even though the pay isn't as high as I was wanting, nor do I get anywhere near full-time hours, at least it's better than nothing.

I'll still be getting certs and they know that I'm heading towards bigger and brighter things, it's just a matter of time until I get there. Not sure of the start date just yet, the owner said it could be as early as middle of next week or as late as Monday the following week, either way, it's some good news for once. My wife will have to get a job and we've been looking at getting her into a spot with her best friend at one of the local car dealerships so with both of us working maybe we can finally get back on our feet again.

I'll update you guys on whether I get any raises or get another job offer that pays more in the future. Thanks for those who have showed me support over the past few months and for encouraging me to keep on pushing. It was hard, but at least it's halfway over now.

Thanks again.
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congratulations!! It's a good feeling isn't it? I myself am waiting for something to come along, in time though. Best of luck in your new position!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations buddy. You deserved (and needed!) that job. Make sure you learn as much as you can. Nothing beats hand-on learning.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I know that this has been a hard time for you and your family.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    congrats looks like hard work paid off. Do tell us how it goes and more about the job
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can tell you guys this much. I'll be the new lead technician where I'll basically do most of their laptop break/fix work and dabble in the desktop hardware and general software problems as well.

I'm sure I'll have fun at the store, it's just the lack of hours that has me worried and the pay is actually just less than what I was making in retail right before I decided to make a career change (though it'll feel like I'm making more because I won't be commuting 90 miles round trip five days a week like I was at my last retail job).

Probably the best part about this is they don't mind me doing projects for other companies that may want to bring me on. Since I've already done one day project in the past they just wanted to let me know that they would be open to me taking a day off every now and then to do the same if it meant continuing my career and helping me get some more money along the way. So all in all I suppose I'll be able to make the best out of it, but as I said, the pay is lower than I wanted to start out, but beggers can't be choosers these days.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Although it's not all that you're chasing, it still sounds like an awesome turn for the better. Congratz and hope it's the point of never looking back.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Not only does is sound like a step forward -- it's also sounds like it takes you in the right direction icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Best of luck in your new job. It may be that step that leads to better things.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Mike, next step is to find a job near Raleigh icon_smile.gif, I'm trying to find one now... hope somebody will call me.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike,
    Congrats. It will lead you to bigger and better things.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz Mike on the gig.

Remember it's always easier to find a job when you have a job. Employers can smell desperation and now you won't have that.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I knew that something would be coming to you shortly. Congratulations!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    congrats!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats Mike! I knew it was coming icon_thumright.gif

Show them what's up!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with the job :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, i'm looking for a new job as well the paid money is really bad for me and now i'm more than half the way to MCITP-EA so hopefully will get a better job in the next couple of month.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    congrats!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    Starting Wednesday morning at 9:30 AM. Can't wait to finally be back to working after a four month layover.
    -Michael Palmer
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man. You actually have a unique opportunity to maybe open up your own shop, or taking side gigs, should you choose to. The great thing about this is that you can apply much of what you will be learning to the job at hand and gain much needed experience.

Congrats once again.
  • KikodeKikode Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats we all have to start somewhere. Getting the hands on experience will help you alot. Once you have a month or 2 experience working hands on you should probably start getting your name back out there don't think you have to wait 6 months or a year at the job. 2 things the company knows they get what they pay for and realize you probably wont be there long. Thats the risk they take by paying/employing you for so little hours and wages. The main thing is that other companies will know you are good enogh to maintain employment there. Working deskside is just as much customer service as it is tech skills. Make sure you do your best to build relationships and keep everyone happy. For example where I'm at the last two guys before me were very strict and not very lenient and so there answer was NO or it's not my problem. I specifically say lets see if there's an alternative or who else can we contact to see if this is possible. Never Ever say NO to your customers. Working deskside will be a major step for you even if it doesn't pay well now it will as the experience builds. Good luck and let us know what you think of your new job! Oh one other thing if someone requests help installing or configuring something that you think is a gray area or needs at home support make sure to always tell them I will get back to you on that never commit until you have thought things through or u could end up regretting your decisions. Cheers!
    Well done now you can apply what you know and what you have learned in your certifications and gain more experience. Also how many hours a week is this? who knows you could get more hours in the future depending on how well the business is going. Big congrats icon_thumright.gif
    It's only about 25-27 hours and if I did get more hours it would probably be somewhere between 30-35 hrs a week. There is a chance that the pay will go up if I can get them making more money, which chances are I can since I can bring several new ways to the table for them to do things (well, new to them but old to us, just stuff they never knew was possible I guess) and with that maybe I can get work orders out faster and get them a quicker revenue stream.

There are possibilities of weekend work where the owner likes to pay time and a half so I can pick up some extra hours and pay there, plus they are thinking about maybe utilizing me as a house call guy as well which will pay more since they can charge for the diagnostic that they normally offer free of charge to those that bring their computers into the shop.

It's good experience, and it'll help me for the time being but of course I'm already itching to get to that next step in life where I can work towards system administrating and dabbling in some corporate nework infrastructure.
    -Michael Palmer
    good thats a good part time role, maybe you could suggest your new boss to do network support outsourcing and u could be doing configuring and admining small to medium ize ntworks
  • JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey man glad to hear you got a job!
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Congratulation, I am happy you found a job.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Johnta20Johnta20 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude, you'll land this gig then a week later the HR department of the job you really wanted will call lol.
  • 2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! We're all rooting for you!