Darril Gibson's Book?

some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I decided to buy the book, after looking at the high ratings for it(I don't even remember seeing a 4-star rating, all 5's!). My question is, what is about the book that makes it so good? Does something particular set it apart from other Security+ books?

I haven't gotten it; just ordered it literally a few minutes ago, and was curious. :)
A+ ~ Feb 2010
Network+ ~ Jun 2010
Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???

Comments

• jgiambrjgiambr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me it was an easy read. He explained things pretty clearly and covered all the topics pretty well. There were some misses here an there however but overall very good. He laid it out so it matched the topics listed on Comptia's website. I liked the book so much I broke my own rule about using at least two sources before sitting for an exam. I still scored well but I remember kicking myself during the exam for not using two sources.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I've seen from most posters it is just a very easy to read book. Some people have compared it to reading a novel just due to the writing style. I've noticed from some posts that there are still a few areas where a second source is helpful, it's kind of impossible to be perfect so to be safe use a second source, even if it's a video training source (I recommend Labsim/testout as it helped me a lot)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My biggest plus so far is that the type is big. So you can fly through a bunch of pages in no time without straining your eyes or anything.

If you read Darril's bio you will see why this book is so high. He is an extremely well rounded person, he has more certifications than I could count. He also has a lot of classroom experience teaching Security+, so this book is an adaptation of all of this classroom experience. He knows which areas the reader will pick up easy, and which ones require a little extra time. He sumarizes things very well, and the book also includes a ton of practice questions so that you already have a feel for what will be showing up on the real thing.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Clear, concise, good use of examples, no fluff.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to know! i just bought the book literaly yesterday to make sure I'm done with the Security+ before Fall classes start. What do you guys recommend as a Second source? CBT Nuggets, Sybex book? Is there a specific material that he doesn't cover as well as other sources?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    katakatak wrote: »
    Good to know! i just bought the book literaly yesterday to make sure I'm done with the Security+ before Fall classes start. What do you guys recommend as a Second source? CBT Nuggets, Sybex book? Is there a specific material that he doesn't cover as well as other sources?

Security+ Training - Order Security+ 2008 and Get Instant Online Access - LabSim

its a bit costly but very nice also sybex makes good books
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have got the book! It literally just got here. It looks great, especially the text-very easy on the eyes.
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???
    some guy wrote: »
    I have got the book! It literally just got here. It looks great, especially the text-very easy on the eyes.

I hope other publishers pick up on this. Good luck with your studies.
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got this book (it was delivered yesterday). So far, it's great. I am only on the first chapter, and it's pretty simple so far. This is great, as it make the book very easy to read. As has already been mentioned, the typeface and font size are nice. This is going to make note taking and marking simple. . I like the humor. It's there, but it doesn't detract from the message. I am looking forward to the rest of the book.

Thanks Darril.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To me it is a good book. I would like more of the hows and whys but the nature of the S+ (I'm guessing) is to test the whats.
  • DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Will reading this book only help pass the test?
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well it will teach you the areas that the security+ test covers.... What were you looking for it to do?
    I phrased it wrong...I meant if reading this book only is enough to pass the test.
    I phrased it wrong...I meant if reading this book only is enough to pass the test.

It could be. Many have done it. Personally I like multiple sources. Different books/videos teach in a different way and a different order. By taking on multiple styles you might pick something up that the other person missed, or maybe just hear it phrased in a way that makes more sense.

I'm using trainsignal along with this book (different style and a different media, so the information should stick better). I'm also using Transcender to gauge myself and get a feel for what I expect to see. With all 3 resources, I have no doubts that I will have a passing score on August 12th.
    Good to know, I have heard good things about transcender so i might use it with Darril's book. Thanks and good luck.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have read about 4 or 5 different security+ books through the years and have taken both versions of the test. I haven't read this book but the other members seem to think it is a pretty good book. Some of the books I have read haven't been very good but would have been enough to take the test with. That being said I actually looked for this book based on word of mouth. Ended up getting a McGraw Hill book due to time frame to take the test. I wasn't real happy with it but it was enough to take the test.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you have a chance buy a book that has a good reputation but other books can be enough to take the test.
    Yea i'm currently reading Darril's book and I really like the style of writing he uses and explains everything very well.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was planning to buy the book but then changed my mind because I heard it does not come with an electronic version and I can't read the small print in certification books,
    Can anyone please take a picture for a page from this book next to one from an MS Training kit so that I can compare text size?

--
    I cant go and check it out in a book store because they don't have this type of books here, Tech people just order them from Amazon icon_lol.gif
    wd40 wrote: »
    I was planning to buy the book but then changed my mind because I heard it does not come with an electronic version and I can't read the small print in certification books,
    Can anyone please take a picture for a page from this book next to one from an MS Training kit so that I can compare text size?

--
    I cant go and check it out in a book store because they don't have this type of books here, Tech people just order them from Amazon icon_lol.gif

It is quite large print, sorry that I don't have a camera.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It is quite large print, sorry that I don't have a camera.

agreed, after reading at least 25 different certification manuals, I would have to admit, that this is the largest print I have seen in a book.

I would say it would be this scale....compared to normal print size above
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with everyone else. I used CBT Nuggets and other material before buying Darill's book and though the others did give an overall outline of what you needed to know, Darill's book was straight to the point and what I loved most is immediately after you read x amount of information, a summary box follows it to further reiterate the material. The text size made the book more enjoyable as well. Overall I believe I could have passed the exam with just Darill's book.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »

--

Like the others, I found the print to be quite large.

The Kindle version is only $9.99, and if you don't have a Kindle, Amazon has free Kindle apps for most platforms now.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Like the others, I found the print to be quite large.

The Kindle version is only $9.99, and if you don't have a Kindle, Amazon has free Kindle apps for most platforms now.

I tried that, but kindle / kindle Apps are not available for my country ..