*is annoyed*

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
You know what frustrates the heck out of me? Why do they still call AES Rijndael? It is so much easier to remember (and say) AES. GRRR!

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    heh, nock out some pushups or something to cool yourself off. I think you are getting worked up for nothing.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Rijndael doesn't mean exactly the same thing as AES so calling it Rijndael might be valid. When NIST made the AES standard, they restricted the valid range of the block and key size parameters. I wrote a paper on Rijndael and AES when I was at university :P
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    whats this about
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It is probably giving credit to Joan Daemen and Vincent Rijmin,who developed it, much as RSA is named for Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everytime I start reading a book and it gets to encryption, they talk about Rijndael for 10 minutes, knowing I'm not understanding half of it, then at the end mention, "Rijndael was chosen as the AES to replace DES."

@man, I could get that, but all they would have to do is say "AES or Rijndael was developed by Joan Daemen and Vincent Rijmin. Rijndael is a play on the names of the two inventors. AES has a 128-bit block size, with key sizes of 128, 192 and 256 bits"...

tiersten, That seems valid, but they aren't making a distinction. Even though the wikipedia article: Advanced Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia mentions that "The standard comprises three block ciphers, AES-128, AES-192 and AES-256, adopted from a larger collection originally published as Rijndael"They flip between the name in the header, repeatedly.I thought maybe it was only the name of the cipher, and maybe the standard was called AES(Still not enough reason), but they call it the AES cipher as well.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AES was the successor to DES. When the standard was being defined, there were several algorithms in the running to be used for the standard.

Advanced Encryption Standard process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    AES was the successor to DES. When the standard was being defined, there were several algorithms in the running to be used for the standard.
    What dynamik said. The same process happened for DES. An IBM designed cipher was chosen as DES and the NSA did some tweaking of parameters before it was finalised as DES.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It should have been Serpent!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    SephStorm wrote: »
    You know what frustrates the heck out of me? Why do they still call AES Rijndael? It is so much easier to remember (and say) AES. GRRR!

If that was the worst thing going in on in my life right now to make me THAT annoyed..... I would be a very happy man.
    Kam.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    What dynamik said. The same process happened for DES. An IBM designed cipher was chosen as DES and the NSA did some tweaking of parameters before it was finalised as DES.

Right, but we don't still call it by whatever name the IBM cipher was, we call it DES. Once Rijndael was finalized it should have been called from then on out, AES.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Dude! Take a Chill-Pill! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right, but we don't still call it by whatever name the IBM cipher was, we call it DES.

Nor do I know anyone who actively refers to AES as Rijndael.
    Once Rijndael was finalized it should have been called from then on out, AES.

I can't even think of the last time I saw it wasn't (aside from studying where they simply provide some historical perspective).

As Tiersten mentioned, they are not technically the same. See here: Advanced Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia