Network Diagrams

sxzaq1sxzaq1 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I searched, I couldn't find the solution to my problem, primarly because I really don't know the exact question to ask.

I'm on chapter 15 in Wendell Odom's ICND 1, specifically page: 494. When I look at a network diagram I am totally lost in regard to the meaning of all the subnet addresses, I've successfully completed each and every subnetting exercise in the book (appendix D)! (TWICE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MATH isn't the problem!

If you draw a circle around the entire network diagram, which network is it? Where is the starting point for this diagram. I know I'm missing something here, I just don't know what it is.

I'm having trouble applying the concept of subnetting to the diagram.
Why don't default gateways have masks?

Who's gonna cast the first stone?

Comments

• censocenso Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your post assumes people have this particular book. Since I don't, why not scan the page in question and upload the file as an attachment so we could all see and help clarify?
  • sxzaq1sxzaq1 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I''ll take a little stab at this with the disclaimer that I don't really know what I'm talking about. But, why do you need to list the subnet mask of the default gateway. It's got to have the same subnet mask of the node with which it's listed. Also the interface on the router that is the gateway on that side of the router is listed in CIDR notation so it does show the subnet mask. When one configures the IP properties on an adapter you don't have to list the subnet mask of the default gateway because it would of course be the same subnet mask as the IP address of that adapter. Otherwise how would the IP packets addressed to other nodes on other subnets use it as the exit to find the other network? To be the exit for that subnet it's got to be on that subnet.

hmm I don't know if that helps but could someone tell me if it at least sounds right?
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I'm a little confused page 494 (diagram 15-6) shows the solution to scenario Part A. Did you work through the scenario and complete diagram 15-5 ?. Is it that what you wrote down for figure 15-5 are not matching with the answers/diagram on page 494 ?
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    censo wrote: »
    Your post assumes people have this particular book. Since I don't, why not scan the page in question and upload the file as an attachment so we could all see and help clarify?

I believe posting actual content from the book is frowned upon here.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I believe posting actual content from the book is frowned upon here.

And most likely illegal due to copyright laws.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Yeah, what he (^^^) said!
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    phoeneous wrote: »
    And most likely illegal due to copyright laws.

It may fall within fair use, seeing as it is being done for educational purposes and it is only 1 page.
    Heero wrote: »
    It may fall within fair use, seeing as it is being done for educational purposes and it is only 1 page.

For interest purposes here's the official copyright from the book: "No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the publisher, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review."

I wouldn't think a one page scan could been seen as a brief quotation or review. Fair use is understandable, it would still seem a stretch given the wording.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

• HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Copyright law is not set by the publisher, it is set by the United States Government. A copyright holder can give more permissions for how their copyrighted work may be used, but at a minimum Fair Use laws still apply.

I can write a book and say that no one can even repeat a single word in the book to another person, but that would not be valid, and would not hold up in a court of law.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    Copyright law is not set by the publisher, it is set by the United States Government. A copyright holder can give more permissions for how their copyrighted work may be used, but at a minimum Fair Use laws still apply.

I can write a book and say that no one can even repeat a single word in the book to another person, but that would not be valid, and would not hold up in a court of law.

I'll back you up here.

Fair use is similar to our free speech here in the US in the sense that it is open to interpretation and situations. I have a right to tell a crowd to protest the president, but I do not have a right to tell a crowd to hurt the president. On similar grounds, we have a right to use our cisco books for collaborative research, but not to make copies of the book and reproduce it to the masses.

If anyone insists that a paragraph or two from a book hundreds of pages long for the use of collaborative discussion and education, which is really empowering the authors and copyright holders as the book is bearing fruits, is the copyright equivalent of threat I would say you are mistaken.

That being said, quote what is important to support your issue and leave the rest to the book. No need to give away what is not needed. Or even better, paraphrase.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    I'm certainly not disagreeing with any copyright vs fair use issues. Copyright is a very complex and gray area that can be seen many ways. I simply posted the official blurb for general info not to start a debate. While it does make for an interesting discussion. If the forum frowns on copying/scanning material & in doing so gives mods/staff the right to suspend or ban a user. In my view following the forum rules is the important thing.

All this is somewhat off-topic to the original question. I'm still waiting for clarification from the poster as to what their difficulty is.
    ---

• sxzaq1sxzaq1 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now back to the issue, after drawing the entire network diagram on a poster board, color coding each group of networks, it's starting to come together. In the book, with all the text is very crowded, it was easy for me to become overwhelmed. The simple act of drawing the diagram and labeling the addresses did it for me. It also helps to write each label near or on the wire or interface (connection). The extra real estate on the poster board also helped me unclutter the information.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    .................so my place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
    Thanks for posting back, I can see where the labels and IP's for the solution could be a little overwhelming. If you read the solution careful & reference the diagram as you go it seemed pretty straightforward. I'm really glad you were able to find an easy fix & made sense of it in the end icon_thumright.gif
    ---