Got a job...so I have a question!

JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I haven't been on here in awhile since I have been working part time to pay bills. Anywho, I got a job today...Its working on MFP's in the field, so It's partly IT and mostly mechanical. The pay is decent considering the job market right now.

I have a question about the job, will working here hurt my chances of working it a helpdesk/networking role in the future? I don't want to get trapped into a niche job with little room to get back into a different path.

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    mfp what is that and what ar your responsibilities etc.
  • JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Multi Function Printer the type that offices have, the big ones. I'll be repairing them, doing maintenance, setting up new units etc.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Like those Copier/Printer/Scanners that IKON provides us? Oh IKON, you make my job so much easier!!

As for entering the IT field, this would be considered a IT. I mean, you'll have to deal with common problems described to Help Desk techs on a daily basis.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    congratz on da new job
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JamesRF wrote: »
    I have a question about the job, will working here hurt my chances of working it a helpdesk/networking role in the future? I don't want to get trapped into a niche job with little room to get back into a different path.
    You will be interacting with end users in person, configuring and troubleshooting the printers on their desktops, and even on servers in some cases. This will help get you into a desktop support or junior sysadmin role. You will be configuring and troubleshooting the network functionality so it will give you some exposure to that, too. Good luck.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, I haven't been on here in awhile since I have been working part time to pay bills. Anywho, I got a job today...Its working on MFP's in the field, so It's partly IT and mostly mechanical. The pay is decent considering the job market right now.

Nothing will hurt your chances in the future. Unless you have other alternative job offers, its always better to be employed than unemployed, and thats with any kind of job IMO.

Many people are satisfied when they first land a job. If you don't like your job, always treat yourself as unemployed when your working day ends. Job hunt when you get home, plan out your studies whether it be certs of formal school and keep your eyes looking for opportunities. At the end of the day, most of us are just working for a stepping stone job, studying at night, and being prepared/qualified for the right job to popup on job sites. Don't feel discouraged, we all started somewhere.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

I worked with printers for years, so take it from me - YES it can hurt your chances of getting into the IT field, IF you only work with hardware. Hirers don't associate printers with networking, OS's, servers, applications, etc. At the time I was grateful for the job and I enjoyed going to client sites. But I woke up one day to find I was in a dead-end job and unemployable for anything else. It took many more years to get back into IT.

Do the job, work hard but keep an end to it in site and ensure you can transgress to where you really want to be. Find out if you can later incorporate any desktop support into your role. This will give you something to put on your resume and give you grounds for movement.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If anything it will help you. Knowing the nuiances of printers will help tremendously, especially if you are doing deskside support. Infact you could potentially skip the help desk and go into a deskside roll immediately. Printers are probably the number 1 thing a deskside guy deals with, at least in a corporation.

I know they are always building new processes and business cases with the printer infrastrucutre. That alone tells you the amount of "cases" or "tickets" that come through.

Of course you will want to grab a certification that shows you are more than just an MFD guy.
  • JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So the general answer is maybe...I can live with that. The first day was overwhelming but from my mentors and peers it isn't that bad, and I'm overreacting. I'm going to do my best to do the best I can and learn as much as possible, and if i decide I don't like the job I can always start applying for a new job...thank you guys for your encouragement!
  • nafseenafsee Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats for the job . . . !!!
    dont bother every thing will be ok . . . my best wishes are with you . . . !!!