Passed the Beast

ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
... Barely. The beast gave a mighty roar. The first few questions was more of a whimper. But the beast wasn't defeated so easily. The beast breathed fire of obscure subnetting and auditing questions. I deflected the breath, waved my sword of RRAS and surprised it by shooting it dead.

I did very well on RRAS, getting everything right. I thought I'd do better on network infrastructure questions, though. For fun I'll try to find the answers to the questions I thought I missed and read up on auditing.

All told I earned a 742 out of 1000; passable, not great, but much better than failing.

Supplies used (books and resources):

ExamCram SE (Diana Huggins), MCSE In a Nutshell, Microsoft Training Kit (MS Press), TechNet articles. The latter 2 were mostly reference. I didn't read the MS press book cover-to-cover, but I probably should have.

I also prepped with MeasureUp testing software.

Experience wise I was the only admin & desktop person for a small company managing Windows and Linux web servers, Linux dns, firewalls, cisco switches, etc. for a number of years; nothing in an AD environment.
Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
CCNA:Security
CCNP

More security exams and then the world.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on taming the beast!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Thank you!

I am probably going to upgrade to MCITP after getting my MCSA - 2 more for MCSA. When I'm going to upgrade I'm not sure yet.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

• TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    ssampier wrote: »
    Thank you!

I am probably going to upgrade to MCITP after getting my MCSA - 2 more for MCSA. When I'm going to upgrade I'm not sure yet.

Congratz! Yeah I felt like I really accomplished something too when I passed 291. Definitely a big accoplishment. I wish you luck on your next 2 exams to complete your MCSA. 293 is the bigger brother of 291, some call it the monster! Have fun wrestling that, he may not go down so easily :p
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Thanks again. I am taking 70-290 and 70-299 next (retake).

70-293 is for MCSE, I don't need to take it. I am, however, on the security track for MCSA*, more or less. I learned 70-299 is very similar to 70-298 which is one of the required designs exams for MCSE (one of the 3).

Getting my MCSE would be nice, but 5 more exams? Ugh. The worst part is upgrading MCSA to MCITP and upgrading MCSE to MCITP is only a difference of one exam (4 and 3, respectively).

*I am undecided if I want to do Security+ or not, but I am very interested in security and security careers.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

• krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, well done. In my opinion, the beast is more difficult than the 70-290. You can do it.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well done! That's a difficult test and you did well to get through. Good luck with finishing the MCSA.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Thanks again. I am taking 70-290 and 70-299 next (retake).

70-293 is for MCSE, I don't need to take it. I am, however, on the security track for MCSA*, more or less. I learned 70-299 is very similar to 70-298 which is one of the required designs exams for MCSE (one of the 3).

Getting my MCSE would be nice, but 5 more exams? Ugh. The worst part is upgrading MCSA to MCITP and upgrading MCSE to MCITP is only a difference of one exam (4 and 3, respectively).

*I am undecided if I want to do Security+ or not, but I am very interested in security and security careers.

Oh I see. Security+ might be a good idea simply because it'll be good for life if done before the year is out. And in your case it counts both as an elective and a certification of it's own. But whichever route you take, best of luck.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
    Thanks Technito. I am really interested in security since I like all aspects of networking and system administration. It seems in demand as well, since you can't have your digital bits stolen :)

70-299 from Microsoft Press is a pretty good book. I liked learning about PKI, IPSec, etc. but the test threw me for a loop; it was assuming knowledge and experience I did not have. My security experience was renaming Windows admin on every computer, limiting user rights and permissions, and being in charge of the firewall.

Security + sounds interesting, especially since it is used for DoD. However, is it really worth the $258? Decisions, decisions...

P.S. I may just say "screw it" and try to get my MCSE after all... I am thinking of learning Exchange as well.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

Tech has a point, these are the last months for S+. Think deeply and make your own conclusion.
    I just bought 2 books for Security+ via Amazon. Hopefully a couple of weeks of full time studying will be enough.

Hopefully any future income will outset the high $258 cost. Sheeze, it's like the streets at CompTIA are lined with gold. (We already know the MS streets are lined with gold, silver, and precious gems icon_cheers.gif)

Studying for the 70-290 now. A lot is old, the CLI stuff is neat.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

$258 for the S+? Try to search some early expiry voucher, it will definitely cost u less. Of course, be prepared at the time.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just bought 2 books for Security+ via Amazon. Hopefully a couple of weeks of full time studying will be enough.

Hopefully any future income will outset the high $258 cost. Sheeze, it's like the streets at CompTIA are lined with gold. (We already know the MS streets are lined with gold, silver, and precious gems icon_cheers.gif)

Studying for the 70-290 now. A lot is old, the CLI stuff is neat.

If you can be ready by the end of the week for sec+: Security+ Test Voucher Pearson VUE Early Expiry Bundle from GetCertify4Less.com

If not keep checking the hotdeals on www.getcertify4less.com

I bought mine for $200

Didn't even notice that you are a Utah guy. PM me if you want help with the SEC+ I got some things that may help.
    $258 is the official price, per CompTIA. Did they gather in a room and say, "Let's see we're $8 better than Cisco* - let's charge that."

I really do appreciate all the welcome and congratulations. I barely know you guys and this already feels like home. I just need a weird Uncle Milton.

Back to studying. icon_cheers.gif

*CCNA level anyway, I don't know what the bigger certs cost
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP