Options

Ip Adress question

thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
Hey all... im taking n10-002 on june 20, im using preplogic , david groths NET+ book and Learnkeys Net+ series. Lots of different info and its all taught in different manners, but what i dont get is how you know figure out what the broadcast ip is given a ip and which one is the network blah blah...also is there any subnetting on the test or just learn which ips fall in which class. I have a month left and im feeling a bit nervous, but im putting in some hours to nail this test..If you all can give me some hints and tips for the test i would greatly appreciate it..THANKS ALL ! !
Switches are bridges on steroids!

Comments

• Options
    JohnRedcornJohnRedcorn Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

you tell an ip is a broadcast if the host bits are all 1s or 255 in decimal. For example, the broadcast for a class C address such as this one 193.34.67.1 would be 193.34.67.255. The host bits are the last octet while the network bits are the first 3 octets. I doubt it there will be subnetting question on the N+. I am pretty comfortable with subnetting since I am taking Cisco semester 1 right now. I will also be taking the N+ on May 20th.

Hope this help
  • Options
    wickedkin6s44wickedkin6s44 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JohnRedcorn,

You are correct. As for subnetting I dont remember any subnetting questions at all on the test.

Here are some notes I took from this site. :)

Classes First Octet
    Class A 1 126
    Class B 128 191
    Class C 192 223

Subnet Masks

In order for a protocol to be routable a network address must have two parts: a host and a network portion. TCP/IP uses subnet masks to determine which part is the host portion and which is the network portion.

For example in a Class B IP address 172.16.12.234 with the default Class B 16 bits subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 the network portion is 172.16 and the host part is 12.234.

Default subnet masks:
    Class A 255.0.0.0
    Class B 255.255.0.0
    Class C 255.255.255.0

GL buddy and go get em

-wickedkin6s44