Retirement coming !

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
March 31, 2011

Exams 70-271 and 70-272 will be retired.
Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    284 and 285 will be missed.........Not realy, I hated the 285.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    70-285 is also on the October 2010 list.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Surprised to see 70-621 on there so soon.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
    Usually they wait until two releases are out until they retire a track. Ex Windows 2000 retired after Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 were released, Exchange 2003 is retiring because Exchange 2007 and 2010.

you never know when marketing will step in and force an early retirement of an exam to drive sales.
    Andy

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 621 isn't that surprising. I think MS is going to just sweep away Vista as if it never existed in the next few years.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Usually they wait until two releases are out until they retire a track. Ex Windows 2000 retired after Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 were released, Exchange 2003 is retiring because Exchange 2007 and 2010.

you never know when marketing will step in and force an early retirement of an exam to drive sales.
    I've noticed that trend but I think XP and Server 2003 may buck the trend.
    XP is still not in the headlights of retirement since XP is still being used in the workplace. I can foresee MS retiring Vista before they retire XP.
    As for Server 2003 I don't see those exams retiring until more businesses switch from Server 2003 to a newer server product. Hopefully most businesses which currently use 2003 will continue using a Windows product when they switch (Hint: I'm a Windows person) and don't switch to Linux or some other server software. I've been looking at the costs to upgrade to 2008 from 2003 and I can see why so many businesses haven't switched yet.
    I personally don't see the real need for MS to release a new server product in the near future but if they follow their trend a new one will be out in the next 2 or 3 years. A new server product will just create more of a market glut and we'll have a lot of businesses still using 2003 and some using 2008 and very few switching to the new server. If the demand for the new server (and 200icon_cool.gif don't go up then the prices will not go down enough for businesses to afford to switch and they may go to Linux.
    Just my $.02
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    XP is still not in the headlights of retirement since XP is still being used in the workplace. I can foresee MS retiring Vista before they retire XP.
    As for Server 2003 I don't see those exams retiring until more businesses switch from Server 2003 to a newer server product. Hopefully most businesses which currently use 2003 will continue using a Windows product when they switch (Hint: I'm a Windows person) and don't switch to Linux or some other server software. I've been looking at the costs to upgrade to 2008 from 2003 and I can see why so many businesses haven't switched yet.
    I personally don't see the real need for MS to release a new server product in the near future but if they follow their trend a new one will be out in the next 2 or 3 years. A new server product will just create more of a market glut and we'll have a lot of businesses still using 2003 and some using 2008 and very few switching to the new server. If the demand for the new server (and 200icon_cool.gif don't go up then the prices will not go down enough for businesses to afford to switch and they may go to Linux.
    Just my $.02

+1

Out of every desktop client MS has put out since my DOS 5.0 days, there are two that I never bothered with at both home and/or work. One being Windows ME; it made Windows 98 look like the World's most stable O/S...I was already using W2K Pro anyway, so no need to go backwards. The other was Vista. When Windows XP came out, I waited until SP2 came out before I "finally" jumped on board with XP. Was pleasantly pleased. I have XP on my workstation at work, but for a multitude of reasons. Oracle JUST certified both Windows 7 AND Windows Server 2008 R2 not too long ago for PeopleSoft access. I can, if I wish, upgrade to Windows 7. I'm going to have to deal with W7 (are we saying W7, btw?) at some point because of WGU. And it will be free! :D

And earweed, my shop is upgrading to 2008 R2. Every new server that's being implemented is using 08 R2. The domains will be upgraded sometime this year from 2003. I think you and everyone will find that next year will be the year that companies upgrade. In 2008/2009 hardly ANYONE was doing it because of the Great Recession. Now, it's slowly starting to happen.
    Good to hear your switching to Server 2K8 R2. When you upgrade the workstations to W7 you're going to really like all the new features. Hopefully a lot of places where I'm at switch so my future MCITP:EA will come in handy.
    BTW I've been (un)fortunate enough to have had the experience of having used both ME and Vista. Vista isn't really all that bad, it was like a beta version for Windows 7..lol It doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it (like ME had with all the bsod's I had) but it just never caught on.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BTW I've been (un)fortunate enough to have had the experience of having used both ME and Vista. Vista isn't really all that bad, it was like a beta version for Windows 7..lol It doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it (like ME had with all the bsod's I had) but it just never caught on.

Well you have to remember too that ME was still a souped up version of Windows 95/98, whereas W2K (while technically "older" than ME) was fully 32-bit, stable as heck (mostly, definitely compared to NT 4.0), and had NTFS. I was never going to waste my time with ME. In fact, like Family Circus, I was NOT ME.

As for Vista, I would not have minded "playing" with it, but when I heard that Windows 7 would be replacing Vista and had fixed many of Vista's issues, made no sense to deal with Vista. Mind you, I have worked on Vista laptops, because hey, I'm the "computer guy" to friends and family, but I just never personally installed it at my home, nor had any desire to.
    never understood why they bothered releasing ME. They had already made the announcement that they were dumping Win9x and moving to WinNT based line for both home and business which eventually became XP Pro and XP home.
    Andy

ajs1976 wrote: »
    never understood why they bothered releasing ME. They had already made the announcement that they were dumping Win9x and moving to WinNT based line for both home and business which eventually became XP Pro and XP home.
    M$ wanted to make some money. They had a halfa-- OS and thought they could make a profit.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    March 31, 2011

Exams 70-271 and 70-272 will be retired.

When did the updated list come out? Does everyone notice how none of the required MCSA/E exams are on the list yet? MS knows that the 2008 (and I'm referring to going full 2008, not running a 2008 OS in a 2003 DFL) migration is going to be a slow one.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    It just came out recently with little fanfare..just a whimper.
    I'm really surprised that NONE of the server 2003 exams are on there. MS knows that it's still a popular server OS and isn't pushing people to change, yet.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gumpoo wrote: »

What Earweed means is that the MCDST will no longer be available to obtain.
  • gumpoogumpoo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What Earweed means is that the MCDST will no longer be available to obtain.

Ok. Cool. Thanks for that.:)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gumpoo wrote: »
    Ok. Cool. Thanks for that.:)

Can't get the certification if they won't let you take the test. icon_sad.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my $.02

I know of 4 military sites that just recently rolled out 2003 to replace 2000. This was just a month ago. 2003 isn't going anywhere for a while.
  • Local-IT-DudeLocal-IT-Dude Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wonder if I can get this cert after my A+ before it expires. How much time do you think it takes?
    Depends on your experience level. It probably shouldn't take more than a month for each test. You have until next march to get it and the cert doesn't expire MS just wont give the exam anymore. Seeing as XP is still around in so many places it probably wouldn't be a bad cert to get.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would appear that MS has pushed out the retirement of 70-271 and 70-272 till June 30th vs the March 31st date.

Guess I can finish my MCDST.:D

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Armor149 wrote: »
    It would appear that MS has pushed out the retirement of 70-271 and 70-272 till June 30th vs the March 31st date.

Guess I can finish my MCDST.:D

sweet, I can take some time if I need to
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    sweet, I can take some time if I need to
    Woooooooohooooo!

awesome i was flippin out for the past couple of months because im currently studying net+ and my date exam date is dec30th.
    wasnt really sure if jan1st to march31st was enough time for the 271 and 272.

i still really want this cert because i feel xp is going to still be used for a long time. and both mcdst and mcitp:edst7 can definitely put me at an advantage vs someone with just edst7!icon_cheers.gif

/relieved.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The retirement date for MCDST has now been changed to June 2011. check the microsoft website for details
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh nice!! I now have time if I decide to take MCDST after I finish MCP (70-270) XP Exam. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63