Associates Degree question

2»

Comments

• techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    RomeSDS84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Moose! It makes sense to try and find any type of odd jobs I can find to get any experience.

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was it that you got your associates?

I'm in the Network Admin track at CSCC too and i have 2 quarters left, we may have even had a class together. I am deciding on whether i want to transfer to OSU or to Franklin University. If i go to Franklin, i will have my B.S. Degree in about a year after i grad from CSCC but if I go to O State, im looking at about 3 years. I know for a fact that a degree at O State will hold more weight than Franklin but then again sometimes I believe that a degree just gets you in the door for an interview and what you know gets you the rest of the way.
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    techie2012 wrote: »
    I'm in the Network Admin track at CSCC too and i have 2 quarters left, we may have even had a class together. I am deciding on whether i want to transfer to OSU or to Franklin University. If i go to Franklin, i will have my B.S. Degree in about a year after i grad from CSCC but if I go to O State, im looking at about 3 years. I know for a fact that a degree at O State will hold more weight than Franklin but then again sometimes I believe that a degree just gets you in the door for an interview and what you know gets you the rest of the way.

Go to OSU.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techie2012 wrote: »

OH---

I'm in Ohio as well. I also know exactly what you are talking about as far as the CCA. Franklin is pretty well respected in the area and is accredited. It cost a lot for that year or so that you have to actually go there, way more than OSU. But with Franklin you can do their program 100% online and it has the potential to be much faster in terms in completion. A buddy of mine went there and he was 1 of the first completely online folks to get a 4.0. Franklin is a school for working professionals. Most of the students there are older.

OSU gives you the name recognition and so on. They also have one of the better CS programs in the state (and nation) way better than Franklin. If I had to choose now and I lived in Cols, I would go to OSU. If I had to choose now and I live where I am living now (Cincy) I would go with Franklin. I am actually considering that school as a backup if for some reason UC isn't a viable option (like if I move or something).
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    My point is, don't be afraid to do some self studying BEFORE you take the classes. When I started N+ I barely knew what I router was. When I started the CCNA, I barely knew what a routing protocol was. I hadn't taken the classes yet so I invested in myself and it paid off.

I whole-heartedly agree. Its funny how much progress you can make in a few months of self-study. The greatest benefit of this when being enrolled in courses is that the courses themselves with just serve as further reinforcement of the skills you are attempting to attain. Well, that and the free A at the end of everything. icon_thumright.gif
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    garv221 wrote: »
    Sure.

Two tiers for jobs.

In the job market the majority of jobs require a post high school education (AAS & BS)..A small percentage of jobs might make a BS mandatory but for the most part these two post highschool degrees are equally marketable for a decent salary equipped with some certs and good experience.

Master or PhD are the only two post high schools degrees not canceled out by certs or experience. When an employer asks for one of these two, they demand it.

I see. I guess that's true because I'm suppose to have a BS for my job and I don't have a degree (it really bothers me to say that).