Can we make redundancy Active-Active mode in EX8208?

kronicklezkronicklez Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Need your help n expertise. Can we make redundancy Active-Active mode in CoreSwitch EX8208. For example between Core01 and Core02. Need urgent your advise. Thanks..

Comments

• hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    I am assuming you have a core-access (Collapsed core arch) in which you want half the vlan traffic to communicate to its gateway(core01) and the other half with core02?

This can be usually done (from my Cisco world experience) by ensuring a load sharing. We use to take odd vlan's and make them active in Core01 (HSRP/VRRP)... and even vlans were active in Core02. Bridge priority were designed similarly... odd having lower priority on Core01 and even having lower in Core02. This way you could achieve the load sharing you want to do... It may not be 50/50... but still would be active/active and ensure load sharing...

If the cores are in a three tier arch.. they usually might be running ospf/is-is between core and distribution... In this case you need to use per-flow load balance configuration.. which would help you to distribute load between the two cores...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • kronicklezkronicklez Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hoogen,

Thanks so much for response. Yes i have 2 core switch that connect to Access switch with two link. Yes in Cisco it can be done but how about in Juniper? As far i know if i use VRRP (in Juniper) one will be Active mode another one will be standby mode right?...Correct me if i wrong. FYI Core Switch will be use EX8208 and Access Switch EX4200 and also we use VLAN. Any advise configuration in Juniper? Thanks
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    That's why I meant load sharing... It won't be true active active... What you need to do is first take your Layer 2... Make odd vlan's (1,3,5,7) bridge priority lower in Core-1... and then even vlans (2,4,6,icon_cool.gif lower in core-2... this way you achieve a load sharing in L2... Now for L3... follow the same.. use VRRP... Odd vlan's have core-1 in active state... and even vlans have core-2 in active state.... You would in a sense achieve some amount of load sharing in this scenario...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • kronicklezkronicklez Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hoogan,

Thanks for the advise. Yesterday i was thinking like that. So in other word in Juniper we can't make VRRP Active-Active mode right in EX8208? Anything i will ask u again regarding Enterprise Network in Juniper. Thanks again.